Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just want some feedback from the guys out there with headers on their trucks, heavily modded trucks. As most people know I have the S&S headers on mine. Sure, I gave my speeches on them and my install instructions. But I have lso told people of the problems to which these headers will give, like the A Arm rub and the nipple on the block. I've heard of similiar problems from Spintech hitting the floor on these headers.

So, those that have installed these headers, lets here some feedback. I am seriously, seriously considering midlengths again because I'm tired of the pain in the ass BS I have to deal with every so often with my headers. They are way to close (passenger side) to spark plug wires so you have to route them very carefully. They still hit my transmission pain. My B&M shifter cable still melts after 3 months even with separation (gap) and insulation. I don't like the driver side collector so close to the fuel line either. Oil changes can be a pain. Spark plug changes is damn near impossible, but do-able with lots of beer. And I still say they are too close to the starter.
Did I gain HP? Who knows.
So, what about those spin techs? Honestly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am very interested in this as well especially since S&S is no more so our only option is Spintech LTs.

I have the same issues with the plug wires, tranny pan, and A arm.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
I have the Spintech midlengths. I put them on a couple months back and they went on in a few hours, went pretty well. Just this week the passenger side flange at the collector started tapping the frame though, annoying the shit out of me. My motor mounts are original and old so that could contribute I guess. The stock fuel line is an inch at best above the cat on the drivers side without modification(w/their dual set-up). They were much better than my shorties for spark plug wire life and ease of plug changes, but not without their own issues.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=H&Category_Code=DodgeTrucks

:huh:

I wouldnt buy them on a bet but it still looks like they are in business and being made.
From what I was told they are closed. Last I heard they were in negotiations with the bank to allow them back in their building to finish orders they had, and once they did they were closing up. The email Betty sent out stated this. Maybe they got another loan to stay in business idk.

·
Registered
878 Posts
From what I was told they are closed. Last I heard they were in negotiations with the bank to allow them back in their building to finish orders they had, and once they did they were closing up. The email Betty sent out stated this. Maybe they got another loan to stay in business idk.
That is what I was told by John. I needed a passenger header because of a severe A-arm dent but my order couldnt be fulfilled so now I am looking into spintechs.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm where are the Spintech users at? No comments from these guys, good, bad, indifferent? LT, not mids

·
The Burnt Side of OJ
1,470 Posts
That is what I was told by John. I needed a passenger header because of a severe A-arm dent but my order couldnt be fulfilled so now I am looking into spintechs.

I'm in the middle of pulling mine- have less than a 1000 miles on them- Just not happy with how tight eveything is. Even had them completely coated inside and out. Have a set of PPH's freshly coated that are being put on now so be gone with the SS LT's

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had that, pulled the header and sent that portion back to them. Grinded the A arm flat, sanded and painted. Got new mandrel bent header pipe back in and week later, another dent. Not sure how they got dented with the A Arm grinded but they are. Way too tight of a design.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Mopar PPH headers are still available. Summit Racing has them.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Hmmmm where are the Spintech users at? No comments from these guys, good, bad, indifferent? LT, not mids
Long tube spintech headers here, 7/8. About $1,100 to my door. Love them but the passenger side wasn't fun. I feel like sick660 and I are the only ones that had problems like this on the passenger side. Everyone else like slammedr/t never had a problem. I'm thinking since sick660 and I got our headers around the same time it was just a bad batch, maybe their jig was a little off? I did grind down my passenger control arm before I put them on and have a small dent, nothing major and bent my fuel line to keep it away from the heat. I can change the starter, oil, spark plugs with no problems! One guy said in a thread it took him 10 minutes to install his, I spent 10 minutes swearing about the passenger side. Do a search though, there have been many threads on these headers.

·
want more inches StrokeIt
177 Posts
i had them up in place in ten minutes. the anti sieze the bolts and tighten them up was done way faster than i expected. they fit great. you have to grind the passanger arm and a few studs coming threw the fire wall but that is it. oh ya the drive side cab support touched slightly i put a tiny dent in the tube and it was all good. i definatly recommend. i had the john m long tubes, i had my new 408 on a motor stand and had clearance issues:huh:. so i bought spintechs.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sorry for an offtopic question, but do they make LT's for the 4.7? And where from if they do? Thanks

·
The Burnt Side of OJ
1,470 Posts
Sorry for an offtopic question, but do they make LT's for the 4.7? And where from if they do? Thanks
Nope- Sorry dude. That would have to be a custom jobber

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tanky, any updates on your spintech purchase? I am thinking I will be ordering some when I get my refund.
I never purchased them. Havent decided. I got orders overseas so Barney is on the backburner for right now. Sorry no updates bud

1 - 19 of 19 Posts