Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got an open diff on 3.55 gears .... I asked the tech dude at the stealership how much an LSD unit would cost with install.... he went into this long azz schpeel about how i would need all new gear housing and what not and that all in all the part would cost about $650 and to install would crank it up to around $1100...Now i'm no tech but I have looked up a few LSD unites for my D and i was wondering if the whole unit would have to be swapped or since I have the open Diff AKA Corp 9 wouldn't they just be able to replace that with the LSD unit OR would they really have to jack with everything inside the pumkin ?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I think that it should be a direct swap. I have seen 3.92 gears for like 250 where the hell did the steralership get 650 from. Oh yeah 275% markup on parts. :finger: :nono:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if I got ya mixed up I don't want to swap out gears I just want the LSD unit in place of the Open Diff ..... but I want to know if they are full of BS about having to replace all the gears and what not just to give power to both rear wheels. I dun mind the 3.55 gear's but I want traction from both back wheels ya know what I mean ?!?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doh ! I just read up about the install and it looks like somethen that would take a while and cost a good bit soooooo the unit they got is overpriced but the labor is the killer I guess.... and from what I can see and have read it's not an easy replacement jobie

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Yeah I agree that there is too much work and money involved for little reward. My $.02

S

·
0 Posts
Mr-SXT said:
doh ! I just read up about the install and it looks like somethen that would take a while and cost a good bit soooooo the unit they got is overpriced but the labor is the killer I guess.... and from what I can see and have read it's not an easy replacement jobie
Would you mind sending me that info on the LSD swap out. I'm interested in doing it. I've got a shop and the tools to do it myself but am leary about just jumping in with both feet not knowing exaclty what to do.

D

·
0 Posts
Powertrax and others make a limited slip uint that fits into the existing carrier. They are availabel for both the 8.25 and 9.25 rear ends. About $100 more than a limited slip carrier but you only need to remove the rear cover, pull the axles and remove the side/spider gears to install these units. Easily done in a hour or less and no torque wrenches or special tools are required.

BTW, replacing an open carrier with a imited slip carrier does not require the gears to be replaced. You do not even touch the pinion so all the difficult gear set up work is not disturbed. All you need to do is get the bearing preload and back lash set. It will not take an experienced rear end tech more than 1.5 hours to do this. I would look for a shop that specializes in 4x4 or rear ends to do the work. You should easily get it done for $500 and that's parts and labor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts