Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost ordered a lowering kit the other day for my 99 dakota, but then i realized it came with new control arms and springs...well my dakota doesnt have springs!. It's a 4x4 so there is no room for springs. I know , I know...lowering a 4x4?? But hey thats what i ended up with and i dont really want to buy a new truck. so how do i lower it??? I know I've seen it done. Ive even seen em lay frame. I cant seem to find drop spindles and some people have said you CANT use drop spindles because of the ball joint design. :confused: HELP!!!! Thanks

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Bro, you're not going to lay frame with a 4x4. You have a transfer case that's going to get in the way. So get over that. Also you WILL NOT find drop spindles for gen III daks (4x4 or otherwise). So you have but two choices.
1. Shackles and/or blocks in the rear and lower the torsion bars up front. But it's not even going to come close laying rocker.
2. Get a 4x2 and super c-notch the rear and get a-arms up front. Depending on your wheel offset, you may even need to narrow the rear end three inches so you can tuck.
Good luck and bring your wallet!

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really trying to lay frame, the most i want in front is 3". I did find drop spindles for gen III dakotas. Belltech makes them actually. They are just harsh on the ball joints i guess. Tomorrow we are going to crank down my torsion bars and see what happens. I think I can squeeze 3" out of them. Even if I have to re-key them. if that works I will just buy my rear blocks and shackles for the 5" drop. If I can only get 2" out of the front, i will buy a 4" rear kit.

Thanks for the help. Glad I got a response to my thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts