Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! im kinda new to posting but been here for a while searching and getting everything fixed on my 2001 5.9 SLT... Right now im stuck!:eeksurprise: Since I had some extra money ive decided to do the front upper and lower control arms plus new shocks and tie rod ends... Ive got the uppers done pretty easy but im having a huge problem with the lowers! Ive gotten everything off axel, brakes and the whole piece... there is zero tension on the torsion bar but I can not get the bolt to unscrew! Now, since the lower control arm is already off I can actually flex the torsion bar enough to where it can slide out of the control arm and I would be able to get the control arm off... sounds easy right? lol that's what I said! but its been 3 days and it's frozen in there! Ive been spraying and spraying with PB blaster and using my 5lb hammer to no avail :crying: soooooooo is there anything else i can try???? i need help ASAP!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Soak in penetrating spray and use a big breaker bar. If your breaker bars not doing it I usually slide my jack pole over it for extra leverage. Also you might want to try some heat before you put that much tension on the bolt and snap the head off. I did my lower control arms the other day, I live in Arizona so rust and stuck bolts usually aren't a problem here.
Hope this helps, Josh.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm replacing my upper and lower control arms as well on my '01 4x4 Dakota. I got the upper control arm replaced and I have the lower removed, but the lower control arm still has the torsion bar stuck in it. I've been banging on it and spraying it with WD40 and even some Deep Creep and it's not budging. I've been contemplating going and buying an angle grinder and just cutting into the old control arm to get the torsion bar off.

Anyone else have this prob?

I don't have a torch to heat it up. I'd hate to leave the truck on jack stands in the garage for weeks. I don't want to order new torsion bars (about $110 each) but I may have to.

Help?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I bought an angle grinder and cut the old lower control arms. From there the torsion bars came right off.

I'm glad I got whole new LCAs rather than just the ball joints.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tried to remove mine to put in some new bushings. But it appears that their is a pin in there holding them in?
The pin is in the front side of the lower control arm, it just keeps the torsion bar from sliding too far forward and out of the vehicle.

I cut mine too, then put antiseize in the new control arm so it hopefully doesn't happen again.
Anti-seize may work, but ideally I wont ever have to mess with again!

I think they get stuck just from being torqued in there for so long, like they twist a hundredth of a inch which doesn't allow them to come loose.

The first LCA I cut, didn't break the torsion bar loose. Even with only 50% of it being held I still had to beat it with a hammer. I cut the second one a little more strategically so it easily came loose.

Now to find a tool for the inner tie rods...Autozone tool's aren't big enough!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look on Amazon for inner tierod tool its two pieces that clamp together with nuts and a 3/8 inch socket wrench with extension will get them loose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts