Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we are going about 15-20 miles there is a loud clunck noise when it shifts into 4th gear. does anyone know what this might be?

·
Registered
145 Posts
auto or manual? could be your u joint, but it shouldn't be going into 4th at 15-20miles an hour. It should be at 40 mph to get in 4th gear.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
could be a U joint. best way to tell is when ya put it in reverse ya hear the clunk.

if it aint a Ujoint... could be the OD unit on its way out... :help:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. hope it ain't nothing big we just bought it a week ago. my husband bought it for me for my b-day. he also just got a 97 dakota. we have 3 kids so this is really our first nice vehicle. we can't afford too many problems being as we just bought it. thanks for your help. we have got an appt. with the dodge dealership to get a full going over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought it was my transmission until....

I had a consistent thunk which sounded like the trans bumping at 45-50mph while it was shifting. I could recreate it consistently. I had just power exchanged the transfluid (yes I have read all the pros and cons against this) and then thought, Now I've done it! Gunk broke loose and the trans is messed up!

End result, and hopefully, this is the problem you are having....

My distributor cap had corrosion on one of the pins, so it was an engine misfire not a mechanical problem. I changed the distributor cap and wha-la! No thumping and back to smooth shifts. So be sure to check your plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Cause I would have swore up and down that it was mechanical....

Hope this helps!

Steve
'98 Durango Slt+ Black 120k miles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts