Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today I was looking through a bargin trader paper...and by chance I saw that a guy was selling a 5.9l engine/tranny/computer from a 1997 Ram. I called him up, and he said he would sell just the engine for $750. I was like holy sh!t!. Ive got lots of questions tho...Ive got a 1998 4x4 3.9 5spd. I think I have a NV3500 tranny...no idea about the transfer case...does anybody know what the stock t-case is? also a Chrysler 8.25 rear end...and on the sticker, for front axle it said "3400". thats it...anybody know what that means? I read that 360's arent drilled from the factory for manual trannies...so ill have to do that. Also, coming from a Ram...will I need a v8 dak computer...could I use the Ram computer? or what? Also...will my tranny/t-case combo be up to the task of all the extra horses coming from the 360? And as for axles...do they make IFS Dana axles? Like can I get a front Dana 35 or 44 for my truck? And for the rear...can I just drop anything in there? another Dana 44...Dana 60...something stronger...what? Like for doing solid axle swaps...lots of people use F-250 axles. Could I toss one of those in the back...and get something better for the front? And back to the engine...will that actually "fit" in my engine compartment? Will I need block hugger headers or anything? Do I need to whack the firewall or something? Is the 5.9l in the R/T's the same as in the Ram? R/T's are 2wd though...will the engine fit with my front axles? Sorry for the overload of questions...but I need to find out lots of information quickly before the engine gets snatched up. Thanks alot in advance guys...I need help :p

-Fox

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Fox said:
Just today I was looking through a bargin trader paper...and by chance I saw that a guy was selling a 5.9l engine/tranny/computer from a 1997 Ram. I called him up, and he said he would sell just the engine for $750. I was like holy sh!t!. Ive got lots of questions tho...Ive got a 1998 4x4 3.9 5spd. I think I have a NV3500 tranny...no idea about the transfer case...does anybody know what the stock t-case is? also a Chrysler 8.25 rear end...and on the sticker, for front axle it said "3400". thats it...anybody know what that means? I read that 360's arent drilled from the factory for manual trannies...so ill have to do that. Also, coming from a Ram...will I need a v8 dak computer...could I use the Ram computer? or what? Also...will my tranny/t-case combo be up to the task of all the extra horses coming from the 360? And as for axles...do they make IFS Dana axles? Like can I get a front Dana 35 or 44 for my truck? And for the rear...can I just drop anything in there? another Dana 44...Dana 60...something stronger...what? Like for doing solid axle swaps...lots of people use F-250 axles. Could I toss one of those in the back...and get something better for the front? And back to the engine...will that actually "fit" in my engine compartment? Will I need block hugger headers or anything? Do I need to whack the firewall or something? Is the 5.9l in the R/T's the same as in the Ram? R/T's are 2wd though...will the engine fit with my front axles? Sorry for the overload of questions...but I need to find out lots of information quickly before the engine gets snatched up. Thanks alot in advance guys...I need help :p

-Fox
The 360ci engine will fit just fine in the engine bay, even with it being 4x4 - the 318ci V8 came in the earlier 4x4's and the block size is exactly the same (different stroke), and the 360ci V8 is in the 4x4 QC and Durango trucks.

I would think that you could use a PCM from a 1998 4x4 5.2L V8 Dakota, it should work very well with this combination.

Your biggest hurdle may be mating the engine to the tranny - I'm not sure if the hardware which mates the 5.2L V8 to the manual transmission would mate as-is to the 5.9L V8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read in a magizine that if you buy a 5.9 from the factory its not drilled for a manual transmission. the input shaft of the tranny is either .55in too long...or the crankshaft is .55in too shallow. So you either have to whack off that much from your tranny shaft...or drill a 9/16th hole .55in deep in the crank...which is the better way. What hardware is there to mount it up? im not really farmiliar with transmissons and cluthes and things like that...its my area of weakness :p And thanks alot...been a huge help so far :) Btw...will I need the whole harness or just the PCM? And do you know anywhere I could get either?

-Fox

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.