Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gettin 12 engine codes. injector circuit on cyls 1-6. random misfire on cyls 6 and 8. small and large evap leak and p1281 (engine to cold too long??? WTF??)

the truck starts hard. once it is started the idle is low and rough. its still got SOME balls but not much. i can still pass ppl but my girls cavalier is faster than my truck right now :rant: when i am gettin into the throttle the check engine light blinks at me.
ive changed all the plugs the coils on 6 and 8 and i still get the codes for the misfires. i changed the throttle positioning sensor and no help there. right now i have no idea what else to try other than the pcm. i dont think the injectors are all bad cause the middle ones went first not the ends

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
Sounds like you have multitude of issues but they may not be all that expensive. However, the blinking CEL is huge clue and a warning you are not heeding: that means you are damaging the cat and it sounds like yours is seriously plugged. The #6 and 8 cylinder misfire is also another clue, as those two cylinders are closest to the cat in the exhaust, meaning they getting the most heat and back pressure.
Find out the build date on your truck, you might still be able to get the dealer to replace the cat and check for other damage. If you are over the years or mileage, your fubar'd. Catalytic converters alone cost up to $300 for OEM, a little less with universal or high flow. Then there's possible engine damage, which means a rebuild or replacement. :sorry:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
say it is my cat. which one is it!! i hate dodge for this crap. 3 effin cats. anyway... how would i figure out which one it is? im not throwin any o2 sensor codes. wouldnt a plugged cat throw one? what about gettin mid pipes from a 2000 dakota? those are catless... would they fit on my truck? its a 2002 by the way. just need the damn thing fixed

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
could also be bad gas.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You need to do some basic testing first before you start throwing parts at this thing. Are all the fluids full? What is the fuel pressure? Clear the codes adn see which ones set first. The evap leak isn't really a factor right now and the P1281 is probably due to a bad t-stat. Do you have any mods?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sounds like you have multitude of issues but they may not be all that expensive. However, the blinking CEL is huge clue and a warning you are not heeding: that means you are damaging the cat and it sounds like yours is seriously plugged. The #6 and 8 cylinder misfire is also another clue, as those two cylinders are closest to the cat in the exhaust, meaning they getting the most heat and back pressure.
Find out the build date on your truck, you might still be able to get the dealer to replace the cat and check for other damage. If you are over the years or mileage, your fubar'd. Catalytic converters alone cost up to $300 for OEM, a little less with universal or high flow. Then there's possible engine damage, which means a rebuild or replacement. :sorry:
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive done a BUNCH of testing. have a pcm code reader. cleared and read the codes multiple times. firt ones i get are the misfire codes in 6 and 8. then i get the injector codes. right now i want the damn thing to not start hard and run right. im not worried about the evap leak, that code has been comin up for a while. i was thinking the pcm could be the problem but i just dont know. and its not bad gas. i put new gas in it every other day now that its mileage has turned to shit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts