Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.7 Durango and wanted to put a muffler on to get a bit better sounding exhaust note. From reading on this forum, it looks like Magnaflow would give me exactly what I'm looking for - low, deep growl (dont want anything loud, jut slighly deeper than stock). Anyway, I have a question in terms of the installation. DOes the muffler have to be welded or can it be clamped in place of the stock muffler? What size muffler would I have to get to be able to reuse the stock tailpipe? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you looking for a cat-back or just a muffler? Cat-backs are pretty much bolt on, I ordered mine a few weeks ago for about $323.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
the stock muffler is welded so you would have to cut it off and weld in a new muffler. stock dia pipe is 2.5". like said though you should look into at least a catback system with 3" pipe to give you a slight performance boost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually wanted to save some money so the idea was to just throw a muffler on there. They'll probably charge me an arm an a leg if it has to be welded in though..

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
A shop shouldn't charge much to just swap a muffler. But, it's not a hard job to do yourself...

I don't recall my stocker being welded in place, but it's been at least 5 years since I tossed it.

Chop the old one out and slide the new one in place. Center in, offset out is what I recall installing. 2.5" pipe. 14" or 18" case, shorter is louder. Clamps are fine.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
i had cole muffler remove the factory muffler on my 04 and put in a magnaflow. it was shorter, so they also had to put in about a 10 inch length of pipe. 30 bucks for the work, i was done. my 02 had a dynomax 3" in, dual 2.5" out when i bought it. and being at almost 90k and my daily driver, i just left it and then had the tailpipes redone to come out behind each tire. that cost me 100 bucks at a welding shop. its not very loud tho, id like it to be true duals, but im not gonna mess around with it. its expensive, and after the true dual fiasco with my 05 GMC, im not going through that headache again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts