Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after my lawsuit gets all settled and what not, I should be walking away (after paying off my debts) with about $6,000. I want to do some engine mods...would love to drop a new engine in there...especially a Hemi (don't say it can't be done, because it can). But I want some money left over to do some other things to the truck (i.e. wheels). So, I would say about $3000 left.
What I have:
MBRP Exhaust
Cuda hood

I probably wouldn't go with a supercharger because then the hood can't be used, though would love one. I guess if I got a great deal I would make the hood just a cosmetic thing.

What would heads, intake, cam, and pulleys cost me....and what would the end result be?
But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You could probably do heads, cam, intake, tb and headers for $3000, depending on how much of the work you can do yourself. I doubt that you could in a Hemi for that amount or even the whole $6000. Again that would depend on your ability to do the work yourself.

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the work can be done by myself, or my dad. If I would do an engine, I would used more money, just won't do the cosmetics. Your right about the hemi conversion, becuase I would want to do it right, and would want to get ahold of painless wiring to get all the necessary wiring, and that would be pricey.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
716 Posts
Ummmm..... I dont think ur going to even touch a Hemi engine for less than 3000 used, But if you need help with any of ur mods like heads, cam intake, headers etc. id be glad to help ya out there, im only a hop, skip, and a jump away :biggthump

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds awesome to me 99 Durango.

Can usually find a used hemi for 2500-4500, but then need the wiring, tranny, and god knows what. Thats why I eliminated that option. Guess I could build up the 440 sitting in my dads barn?

But I will definetely be getting ahold of you Durango, as I know nothing when it comes to these engines...can be great help if you have a Ford 5.0, but these nope.

·
I'm Retired!
483 Posts
I would have to say, you got 6K, and you want 3K left over. Depending on what kind of cam you get is depending on what else you're gonna need to make the thing run...

I would talk to Sam over at socaldakota.com and see what he can set you up with. Your difference maker is gonna be in those heads and whether you want to get them ported or not. The R/T heads put out pretty good flow numbers anyway you look at it, but the porting always helps, but that'll probably cost you around $2000 for a good set. All in all, everything I got on my engine cost me a little over $3000 all in all. Its mostly just bolt ons minus the camshaft, but with the tranny work it takes my running total up to about $4500 and I haven't even put a set of heads on yet...good luck and have fun :biggthump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.