Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1999 Dakota 4x4. Had it since 2001 and I've exercised an amazing amount of self control because I promised myself that I wouldn't modify it too much until it was PAID FOR. Well, it recently crossed that line and I'm looking to start having fun.

I'm not looking for anything ridiculous. Just a small lift (between 2 and 4 inches) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Then I'll fill in the new space with some bigger and more aggressive tires. I'm just looking for brand names and maybe some links to on-line stores. Personal experiences with the product recommendations will be a big plus.

Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
i agree the rancho lift is the way to go!! i have beat the hell out of mine and had very little trouble!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now... where to buy?

I've been looking into it, and apparently the Rancho is the ONLY lift kit for the 1999 Dodge 4x4. If there's another lift for my truck, my local 4x4 shop couldn't find it. Here's the bad news though. The only shop in my home town doesn't sell Rancho stuff. I've got a shop where I can do the install (maybe with some help), but where's the best place to buy something like that online?

Ps... Can you tell that Im just a little new at this? I'll be asking a LOT more questions in the next 6 months. haha

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
He's talking about a suspension lift, not a bodylift.

For the 97-99 trucks, there's not only a 3" Rancho suspension lift, but the 5.5" Tuff Country lift also available. It really depends on what you're looking for. Show or functional offroader? Weekend wheeler or mall crawler? Either way, one of the lifts will suit you just fine...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit of both...

When all's said and done, I hope to have a more functional/useful off-road vehicle. I'd like to start taking some weekend trail rides and some small-time rock climbing with the local jeep club. I also do a little work on the family farm from time to time, so a set of bigger more grippy tires would help for those rainy days behind the barn. It'll be my daily driver too though, not a show truck, so I don't want to get too wild. After the lift, I'll start shopping for some BFG tires (probably 33" KO's), a new receiver hitch with some tow hooks, and then some engine mods. So thats where all this is headed.

For some reason, I was under the assumption that this lift kit came with new shocks. Apparently thats not true. Would you guys recommend replacing the factory shocks at the same time? Or could I run them until they need replacing, after installing the lift, and then replace them with something more off-road capable? Also, how necessary would it be to purchase the additional steering stabilizer with the lift?

·
Registered
331 Posts
For the 5.5" lift you'd definately need new shocks.

For the 3" lift I've heard you can get away with the stock shocks as long as you don't do alot of crazy stuff like rock crawling and whatnot. I personally would suggest atleast getting new shocks for the front if you go with the 3" lift. The rear can probably stay stock and you won't notice much.

I don't have the lift so I can't really speak with any authority though. I'm just repeating what I've read on other forums.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
If you do the either lift, you'll need new shocks. They don't come with them because they have a couple of different models. It's just easier for both sides if they leave them out, and you order the ones you want.

I went with the Rancho RSX shocks to replace my stock ones (no suspension lift), and like them pretty well. They definitely made the handling better, and offroad performance is pretty good too. They're not bad at about $50 each shipped (or less if you find the right place).

If you're going to offroad the truck, go with the 3" Rancho lift. If you're not happy with the height, then go with a 2" or 3" bodylift. I would much rather see people who will wheel their truck go the Rancho route...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input. Its really going to come in handy once I do this.

I grew up around pickup trucks and jeeps. I've seen several people do a lift like this the right way, but I've sooo many people do it wrong. I've seen people do STUPID stuff to their trucks for the sake of "mudd'n". I figured if I was going to lift my truck, I wanted to get the information and do it right. So again... thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.