Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
So I got rid of my durango and I really miss it honestly. I have a chevy s10 and 2wd trucks suck. I found a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT with a 4.7 and a 5 SPEED (thats a huge selling point right there for me). It has 112k and it is lifted 3 inches. It already has a tonneau cover, k&n and a throttle body spacer but is otherwise stock. Its at a small dealership right around the corner and they want 6000 for it. They offered me 2000 on my truck and I could foot the rest. Should I come back to the Dakota/Durango side? I need a truck now so it couldnt be a durango. How are the 02s? Ive never had a 4.7. I had a 5.2 in my durango so I know its different. And how are the NV3500s? Reliable? also ive heard problems about the brakes in these trucks. I know about the dodge front end so thats not an issue. It looks new in this truck.
Thanks
Ed
My phones being stupid but I will upload a photo asap

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have an 02 Durango with the 4.7 but it has the 545rfe and it hasn't had any major problems , it has 110,000 miles on it

Sent from my LG-MS910 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 4.7 in my 04 Durango is great, I have towed alot of weight in the past with it and not afraid to do it some more... at 80k miles it pulled about 4,000 lbs over 500 miles and back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love my 00 and have 106K on it right now. Brake lines love to rust out up here so take a look, especially front drivers side. As for the dealer ... can't say much about them. I can say their inventory turns over really slow. They had this green Nissan Titan there for almost a year.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
It is a sharp truck :mullet:
I can't give any insight on the 4.7 but I would slide under it and check it really good for rust issues, light surface rust on the frame and suspension isn't an issue but you don't want to pay anywhere near 6k and have it turn to dust in a couple of years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I noticed that about the inventory too. I actually used to go to school with the owners son and apparently the reason is because they sometimes buy vehicles with bad engines or trannies and replace them. They are doing that to a subaru right now but they only have 1 bay so sometimes projects sit for a while. The dakota is all original I checked. They even showed me the purchase slip they received from the dealership they bought it from since big name dealers wont sell under 04 because they cant finance. Im going to look at it again today. Ill take some more pictures.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stopped by again and drove it for a while. It rides great. Its not too stiff or soft. It shifts fine. The one thing I noticed is that 3rd and 5th gear tend to lightly hit the bottom of the dash when shifting. Is this normal? or did someone swap the stick? it looks stock. Also I notice it has a JET stage 1 chip in it. Has anyone used this? Is it good? Thanks guys. Im just trying not to get screwed on a deal. Its pretty free of rust. A little surface on the frame. The drivers door under is starting to bubble. and 1 spot on the rear bumper. But thats it. like I said its in pretty decent shape.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's possible it was swapped, but I'd doubt it. I guess you could look around at the pedals to see if they look to be untouched or not. But if it shifts fine I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't heard much about the JET chips, but I know they're reputable. Personally, I have an SCT, so I can't tell you the quality of the JET chip. If you are really bothered by the shifter hitting the dash, you could look at putting a short throw shifter on it:

http://www.core-shifters.com/servlet/the-340/Core-shifter--pls--Hurst/Detail

I think something like that is what you'd want. Or you can just cut down your shift stick a few inches and thread the end with a dye and put the knob back on top.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah its not a big deal I just thought it was a little weird they would make that from the factory. Maybe im just pushing it too far forward in the gears. Oh well. I still really like the truck. Im heading down to the credit union to see what options I have. I do really like the look of that short throw shifter though.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah, it's sweet. You'll love the Dakota. I say go for it... Much better than the weeny lil S10 you're in now lol. These Daks will haul...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The inner door skin on mine started bubbling because a piece of weatherstripping was missing, but it is 13 years old. I really like the truck. Was great during the blizzard, although it wouldn't go through the 3 1/2 feet of snow in front of my house until I got plowed out.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Thats a nice ass truck and a five speed, I'd love to get rid of my truck for a quad cab 5 speed. I'd definately go for it, the 4.7s are awesome motors and the NV3500s are fairly reliable, more so than an auto probably. Plus its lifted and the price ain't bad, I'd get it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I decided Im going to try and go for it. Right now Im waiting to hear back from the credit union to see if I can get a loan for at least part of it. I dont want to kill my savings in 1 blow haha

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Very nice truck. I say go for it. See when the clutch was serviced. But manual trannys do fairly well if not beat on.

·
Ghetto Bomber
300 Posts
See if they have maintenance records from PO. Look for any history/evidence of overheating -- this is death to 4.7s. Check all the balljoints -- even if they were re &
re-ed on the recall, at this mileage it may be time again. Make sure all HVAC functions work properly -- this is a weak point on these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you wind up getting it? I saw it was gone when I drove by yesterday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope I ended up looking it over like over and over again and I kept noticing things like the fenders were pretty bad underneath and then all of a sudden it had a crack in the windshield. They told me the first time I went there they sometimes drove it home for the night and I think it happened one time on the way back or something because it wasnt there one day and the next it was. So I decided against it because they wouldnt replace the windshield for the price and some other things. Next time I guess..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its still at the dealership so its still an option. I really like it. Im trying to decide between this and a Silverado z71.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts