Dakota Durango Forum banner

Long term project, 99 Durango, NV4500, Atlas II, Dana 60s SAS

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fastdurango00 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to Dodges and Durango, my experience has been with foxbody Mustangs and Jeeps (XJ, MJ, CJ, JK).

Current parts I have acquired:
8 lug Ford kingpin Dana 60 HP currently set up for a 3-link and coilovers with 64.5" WMS, No gears or locker yet.
8 lug full floating Dana 60, no brakes, gears, or lockers yet.
NV4500 with 4.7 bellhousing from 2005 Ram 2500, 29 spline
Atlas II 4.3 driver side drop from a Jeep with 23 Spline
1999 5.9 Dodge Durango with bad 46re transmission for $750, It will arrive this week.

Parts that I will still need to get:
H1 37" tires and wheels
I'm hoping to set the front up with ORI STX struts
5.9 flywheel and clutch
97-99 Dakota pedal assembly
97-99 Dakota steering column
97-99 Dakota instrument cluster
PCM- TBD 5.9 Ram 5spd PCM or 5.2 Dakota 5spd PCM
23 spline main shaft for NV4500 or 29 spline input shaft for Atlas
4.88 gears front and rear lockers.
rear leaf springs and shock to maintain stability and allow vehicle to tow JK

Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
so stage 1 will be getting the NV4500, Atlas transfer case, and rear driveshaft installed so I can drive the truck while I prep the axles and gather the other parts.

There is a 1997 Dakota 3.9 5spd 2wd in the local junk yard. I'm planning to get these parts:

1. trans crossmember
2. pedal assembly
3. clutch fork and hydraulic assembly
4. Flywheel bolts, clutch bolts
5. steering column
6. under dash wiring, neutral safety switch
7. Instrument cluster without PRNDL, swap in Durango V8 tach
8. Crankshaft position sensor

New Parts

9. AMS Automotive 167419 Flywheel or Zoom Flywheel 50-2754
10. New Clutch kit 11", 11 7/8", 12"
11 PCM?????????? Reprogram Durango, 1999 Ram 5.9 5spd, or 1999 Dakota 5.2 5spd

Am I forgetting anything?

#4 ·
Dude awesome start!

I would say skip the factory trans crossmember as you will need to replace anyways to clear the front driveshaft. If you are doing the swap, you obviously got skills to knock out crossmember.

Axles come out of a previously built rig? Looks like they are already setup for links?

#6 ·
I would have to agree. Nice start to a project

#7 ·
I got to the junk yard but some of my parts were gone. I did get the complete hydraulic system and I did get the pedal assembly.

Monday I will order the flywheel, clutch, crank position sensor, clutch fork, and a few other small parts.

The NV4500 supposedly has 69k miles on it. I'll open the cover and take at look at it this week and decide whether I will change the input of the atlas or the mainshaft of the trans.

My wife spent most of the day cleaning the Durango. The poor vehicle was so filthy. The hood was covered in tree sap. It is starting to look better, and it is motivating me to get started on the trans swap. If I can get the stuff done to my old Cherokee this week, I will start the trans swap next weekend provided the parts arrive on time.

#8 ·
I finally sold my other project XJ. After some work and selling it for a fair price I ended up with Atlas II transfer case, narrowed Dana 60s front and rear, and a NIB Warn M8000 all for $800.

While waiting to get the XJ sold I went ahead and purchased the internals for the Dana 60s.

Front Dana 60:
35 spline ARB
Nitro 4.88 gears and install kit
Stock Spicer 35 Spline inner shafts and Spicer non-greasable U-joints
35 spline outer stub shafts
Yukon Hardcore locking hubs
Ballistic Fab Dana 60 shaved welded cover

Rear Dana 60
35 spline Detroit Locker
Nitro cut to fit chromoly 35 spline full float axle shafts
Nitro 4.88 gears and install kit
Ballistic Fab welded cover and Disc brake brackets

Dana 60 shaved cover for front axle only

Rear Dana 60 parts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.