Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Pace-Edwards Jackrabbit flush tonneau cover on my '03 Dakota. This unit locks, but I didn't even notice until I installed the cover that THE DAKOTA TAILGATE DOESN'T HAVE A LOCK!

I called a local Dodge dealer and he said they get calls all the time but that there is no Dodge retro-fit kit to add a lock. He recommended looking to the aftermarket, but that to his knowledge, no lock exists.

Is there any way to lock a Dakota tailgate??

I just spent a good chunk of change on the roll-top and spend about 3 hours installing it only to realize that someone can simply open the tailgate. :( :rant:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,185 Posts
haring said:
I just installed a Pace-Edwards Jackrabbit flush tonneau cover on my '03 Dakota. This unit locks, but I didn't even notice until I installed the cover that THE DAKOTA TAILGATE DOESN'T HAVE A LOCK!

I called a local Dodge dealer and he said they get calls all the time but that there is no Dodge retro-fit kit to add a lock. He recommended looking to the aftermarket, but that to his knowledge, no lock exists.

Is there any way to lock a Dakota tailgate??

I just spent a good chunk of change on the roll-top and spend about 3 hours installing it only to realize that someone can simply open the tailgate. :( :rant:
Pace-Edwards offers a power tailgate lock called the PowerGate. You can see specs/information on their website www.pace-edwards.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's exactly what I need. Thanks for the info.

I also found the "Pop-N-Lock", but I already have power door locks so I like the convenience of the Powergate solenoid operation.

I'm going to order one and install it myself.

Thanks!
-don
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
locking tailgate

on my 01 cc rt I installed the same top and had the same problem tail wont lock kinda useless so I got a electric lock thats opens when you open the door lock (power Locks) but i dont remeber the name but you can find it in a sport truck mag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's exactly how the PE PowerGate works. I have one sitting here but have been out of town and haven't had an opportunity to install it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
SinCity R/T said:
I think they normally run around $50 plus shipping.
Thats about right, paid $60 for mine shipped.
 

·
Super Modder
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
does this use solenoids or is it an actual motor that opens and closes? does it have a bypass just incase the thing wont unlock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Its a solenoid just like any normal power door lock solenoid. No bypass if you needed to bypass it, removing two screws accessable from the bed would allow you to open the tailgate.
 

·
Super Modder
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
so if its just a solenoid why dont you just make a bracket to mount solenoid inside the tailgate with a pin that blocks the handle from lifting. run 2 or 3 wires and youre set. you could get a solenoid for about $10-15 plus wires about $5. plus you save on shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't do it yet. :rolleyes:

I've had overwhelming things going on here, and no real time to work on cars yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
cusm said:
How hard was it to install the power gate?
Installing the solinoid in the tailgate only took about half an hour. Running the wiring took me about an hour and a half. I'm anal about things being perfect and looking factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
oO_Rogue_Oo said:
Installing the solinoid in the tailgate only took about half an hour. Running the wiring took me about an hour and a half. I'm anal about things being perfect and looking factory.

Did you run it with the factory wiring? Where did you go inside the cab with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
cusm said:
Did you run it with the factory wiring? Where did you go inside the cab with it?
I ran it inside the framerail down the drivers side using the factory wireloom where ever possable. I entered into the cab thru a gromet just to the right of the steering shaft and spliced into the power lock wiring in the drivers kick panel. Came out very clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I FINALLY got around to installing the tailgate lock. The directions could benefit from some photos or illustration because they oversimplify the process. It wasn't difficult, but I did run into a snag trying to figure out how to make the solenoid bracket and handle mechanism occupy the same space at the same time. The handle mounts against the solenoid bracket and is all held together with the original 3 torx screws.

Basically, you need to put in the solenoid, then insert the handle mechanism while dropping it inbetween the solenoid bracket and the solenoid slider. I found it a little difficult to hold these two pieces together while trying to align them both with the mounting holes, but there is no way to do them separately -- you must hold them there together as a unit. Take your time and be patient, and it's not too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm, it's been so long since I installed the solenoid, I don't even remember how I did it.

I think the bezel was a lot easier than I expected. It's tougher than it seems. I forget if I used any tool to help. I may have carefully used a screwdriver for leverage.

Try again and don't be too worried about breaking the bezel. It's plastic and not easily broken.
 
5

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
How much did the Pace Edwards set you back? I currently got the leather tonnaeu from the original owner (old man) and I really would like something low profile but I'm sure its not cheap.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top