Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was leaving Walmart today and noticed that my brakes on my 02 Dakota Quadcab seemed to be sticking. I'd let off the gas and my truck would nearly stop in its tracks. I drove it to the local mechanic and had him look at it. The ride over there put a huge strain on my motor and caused the temp to rise a little to high for comfort.
When I got out of the truck, I could smell something burning and I swore it came from the driver side front wheel. After inspection the mechanic told me that I had smelled my rear brakes and that they needed adjustment and said that was it. Well that worked for the ride home. A day later, my truck is doing the same thing! I've noticed that it only does it when the truck has been running for a while (30mins or more). It dosen't seem to stick when its cold.....
I put a 3" body lift and leveling kit on and don't know if this has anything to do with it?? I put the lift on over 2 months ago and if that is the problem, why would it start acting up now???
I also put new 275/70/16 tires a few days ago....I'm running all the options in my head and can't figure out what the hell it could be...
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like a bad brake hose, they can collapse internally effectively making them a one way valve. Or possibly a stuck caliper. Try prying back the piston in the caliper, a large screwdriver will usually work but be carefull not to damage the piston or seal. If it won't move open the bleeder and try again, if it moves and shoots fluid from the bleeder it's a bad hose and if it still won't move it's a bad caliper.
Also make sure the caliper itself is not seized to the sliders.

·
Administrator
12,575 Posts
I had a problem with my front calipers locking up on me. They would stick and get hot as hell and start smoking. It would change back and forth between the front wheels. I took it to the garage and they said that I needed new brakes. So they hosed me for a brake job and a week later it happened again. Burning up my new brakes again. :cussing: I took it back and they said the calipers needed to be replaced. But they left the same brakes and rotors on there. When they fixed it that time the f'd up my rims. I flipped. They replaced the rim and I havne't been back to OUTTEN COUNTY CHRYSLER DODGE since. Thats right. I'm gonna call them out. Just so no one else has to got through the same crap. They're good to buy a car from but their service department sucks.

Sorry I went on a little rant. Any way. It could be that your calipers have gone bad and need to be replaced. Thats what happened to mine. I haven't had a problem with them since but I do know that I will never put Mopar brake parts on my truck again. They're garbage. I'm definately going to upgrade the pads to ceramic and the rotors to cross drilled the next time I need to do a brake job. And I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have no previous experience overhauling a braking system it's most likely better left to the pro's. Stay away from the dealerships if possible and find a reputable independant shop, that will save you some coin. Call around and ask for some quotes perhaps?

If you decide to tackle it you will need some specialty tools such as line wrenches, c-clamp and a torx (or allen? I forget at the moment...) tool to remove the calipers.

As for an informative step by step manual.....I have no idea. :huh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.