Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have a or know a list like that? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
I don't have a list but I'm getting a 96 318 in March. I plan on stripping it and selling most of it. I will have a pcm, wiring harness, etc. Basically everything you would need to make the swap.

·
Bippity Boppity Buppity
379 Posts
I believe since yours is OBD2 it would be quite a bitch of a swap. For one since you are a 4banger you are going to need the entire engine wiring harness for a 5.2. Also the 5speed you have will not handle the power of the 5.2 so you will need a swap out of that also. Then you have the motor and all related accessories. I'm just touching the tip here... it might be more work than it's worth. Swapping from the 3.9 is much easier. Now if you have access to a complete truck it would make the swap easier but it would still be a bitch.

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
why would it be a big deal just cause its an OBD II? Ill just use Gen3 Parts or 96 318 parts. obviously need a tranny, should have been more clear. I need to know about minor things like, V8 coil springs.. etc..

Last in, are you going to sell the truck, or just the harness, ecu?. Also is the ECU for an auto or manual? Depends on my cash flow.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
auto or manual tranny ?

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lmao, cause i needs more powers? Manual Tranny BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
why would it be a big deal just cause its an OBD II? Ill just use Gen3 Parts or 96 318 parts. obviously need a tranny, should have been more clear. I need to know about minor things like, V8 coil springs.. etc..

Last in, are you going to sell the truck, or just the harness, ecu?. Also is the ECU for an auto or manual? Depends on my cash flow.
Keeping the truck. I'm selling everything in the engine bay, It's for an automatic. I would sell you the transmission and engine too, but the trans only has first gear and the motor needs a top end.

I'll have all the wiring for sale, even the dash wiring as I'm going to make my own harness for the big block.

·
Bippity Boppity Buppity
379 Posts
You are going to need everything under the hood. Wiring, PCM all of it. I am not certain but you might need the harness that goes into the dash also as I think the 4cyls had a different harness than the v6 & v8. Gonna need the front springs and shocks. I think the rearends are different sizes so theres that to add. My point was if you are swapping all that over it might be easier to find a v8 equipped truck and build on that.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The only issue I see with this swap are the motor mounts. The v6/v8 stuff is the same as far as motor mounts and trans mounts for the 5 spds.
I swapped my 3.9 out for a 5.2 many years ago. But I have no idea about the 4banger mounts and what the frame looks like.

Your going to need a 5.2 with the accessories, year doesn't really matter unless it comes with a engine harness, then its best to get a 96.
I may have a accessory bracket for the 5.2. My 5.2 was a 92, and I used all 96 stuff on it.

You will need a 96 V8 5 spd PCM
Distributor (if your donor motor doesnt have one.
V8 crank sensor (I may have one still)
V8 radiator
A NV3500 5 spd trans, which I also had, but just gave to a buddy of mine.
the clutch and flywheel

Thats all I can think of for now. Its not that hard at all.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
On the 96, the chassis harness should be fine. The 96 PCMS had 3 plugs, 2 were for the engine harness, one was for the truck. Is your 4 banger like that? If so your fine.

As far as springs, shocks rearends etc you'll be ok. The front end will get a little lower, but its not going to bottom the truck out. Im still running a mostly stock 8.25 rear end in my truck currently.

Just saw that your lowered already, like I said I think you'll be fine as far as the springs go.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Hey will, why not go straight for a 360, so you can easily stroke it later when you want even more PAHHHHH.......? And yeah, there's a bunch of assholes over on racemagnum.......myself included......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts