Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
just a little side note.The nv3500 is not a dodge transmission,but a new venture transmission made for dodge.I would think there are parts made to beef up a 3500 and even change some of the ratio's of the gears.Instead of asking dodge,try asking new venture for tips.
New Venture transmission were made for Chevy and Dodge trucks.

Last time I was looking for info on NV there were no parts available to beef up the stock components. What I did find that NV stopped producing the 3500 a few years back. The designs were then turned over to Muncie who continued building the transmissions.

· Registered
8 Posts
limits of nv3500

I ordered my 97 rc v-8 new with the heavy duty service package. My dealer told me that along with the larger radiator & battery, higher amp alternator, that I also had the nv3500hd and was told the rating was 340 ft lbs. of torque. by the way this option only cost $175.00!!

· hobby or addiction?
605 Posts
Yeah its supposed to "bolt it" and the shifter is supposed to go through the stock hole, but you'll have to shorten your driveshaft. Six States here shortened mine for $35. I am buying a TKO600 this winter, im sick of my NV3500...

· TKO'ed
1,270 Posts
Actually the TKO is about 2" shorter than an NV3500 IIRC. You will have to get a new drive shaft made. Make sure you get solid u-joints with it while you are at it.

Comes up just like stock if you use the middle shift position. It's not a Hurst shifter either. That one is a cusotm Keisler piece. Other places sell modified Pro 5.0 shifters to work in the middle position as well.

· Registered
10 Posts
Sweet! Looks at least like my Hurst handle will bolt on. (BTW - my wife hates you now!):rant:

I like the "cue ball" shifter knob. I never had much luck with pistol grips.

I am a "two-finger" gear rower. :mullet:

That Keisler shifter looks like a much better piece than the Hurst.

I don't see any positive stops. Does it have them? This is main reason why the Hurst for the 4.7 is so much better than the stock one.

· TKO'ed
1,270 Posts
TKO's have stops on the internal rails is what I was told. If you want external stops, you have to buy one of the modified Pro 5.0 shifters. I've wanted to try one for a while, but not $350 wanted to try it bad just yet.

You would be surprised how natural the pistol grip is. With the center console there the handle just falls into your hand.

· Don't be "That Guy"
4,635 Posts
there are no positive stops in the TKO. DAMHIK!

I over shifted twice into 2nd and locked into gear, I had to tear off the cover for the middle shifter location to get at the shifter rails, and pry it out of gear with a screw driver.

I bought a positive shift stop that bolts right onto the stock, rear mounted shifter that I'm using on my TKO. it was $50 from keisler. no more overshifting!

I am using the rear mounted shifter position on the TKO, and an E-body pistol grip shifter with a 3" extension that I made. I had to cut a new hole in my floor to make it work. I would tell you that I had to cut my driveshaft down 3" but I also did a big block swap, so I couldn't tell you where it ends up behind a stock motor.

it will also probalby land in different spots depending on what motor you have, 3.9, 5.2/5.9, 4.7, etc.

bottom line, I love it!

· TKO'ed
1,270 Posts
Guess what, straight from Tremc:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/pdf/TKO_Installation_Tips_117_117.pdf

"Using an aftermarket shifter may void your warranty. If an aftermarket shifter is used, remove the shift stops. All TREMEC transmissions have internal stops and can not be over shifted."

You must be Popeye or something. I've never overshifted mine. I have gotten it stuck between gears when working on it, but never over shifted.

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Guess what, straight from Tremc:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/pdf/TKO_Installation_Tips_117_117.pdf

"Using an aftermarket shifter may void your warranty. If an aftermarket shifter is used, remove the shift stops. All TREMEC transmissions have internal stops and can not be over shifted."

You must be Popeye or something. I've never overshifted mine. I have gotten it stuck between gears when working on it, but never over shifted.
Thought that was funny, made me laugh.

· Don't be "That Guy"
4,635 Posts
call Richard at Keisler. or ask about it over on Moparts.com. there's been several people who have overshifted their trannies and that's why Keisler made a positive shift stop to put on the red anodized shifter.

· Don't be "That Guy"
4,635 Posts
here...

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ords=70Cuda383&topic=&Search=true#Post4507018

ok, I stand corrected...Richard said that I went PAST the shift stops inside the tranny, not that there weren't any. I have emails too where he said that it was a normal problem.

My guess is you over shifted it and the shift dog went beyond it's stop. On the fron of the tail housing, forward of your shifter, is a silver access cover with 4 allen head screws. Remove that cover. When you look down in there, you'll see the 3 shift rails. If it is stuck in 2nd, the rail on the passenger side will be forward of the other 2. Simply take a flat tip screw driver and pop it backwards so that it lines up with the other 2. What this does, is knock the transmission back into nuetral. From there, test shift it and make sure it is good. Then re-apply RTV to the cover and bolt it back down.

Richard
Tech Support

and...

What color is the shift tower? If it is red, I can send you an adjustable shift stop that will prevent that from happening again.

These tranny's are built tough and no, I am not suggesting to baby it. Why it happens, I'm not sure but I have run itno this a few times in the past.

You didn't damage the gear box so don't worry about that, just let let me know what color the tower is so I can help you out.

Richard
Tech Support

· Registered
129 Posts
"borrowed" quote about the 3500s

Thought I'd throw in a quote about the NV3500 durability issue that I found while researching the 5spds that were available for Magnum motor Jeep ZJs.

BTW - I do know of one ZJ that's running a 3500 behind the 5.9 (now about 6.0) that he put in his 94 5.2 ZJ. Not sure how many miles he has on the swap now but I think it's been done about a year now.

So anyway, here's the quote......

From Notchlx, Admin at bionicdodge.com

These units are a mid-grade transmission that does remarkably well in a stock application. However once the power is turned up on these suckers you might want to pick up a spare. I ran at 320RWHP and 375RWTQ for over 10,000miles and bolted on slicks once a week for a year with 3,000rpm clutch drops and never had a single problem out of mine... The clutches went before the tranny gave any signs of disintegration. The Centerforce dual friction clutch holds up pretty good to the added power and is definitely a lot more crisp on the shifts than the stocker. Others haven't been as lucky. I've heard of people blowing out their 5spd with little to no mods??? Depends on what kind of day they were having at the New Ventures shop on the day your transmission rolled out. Plenty of people are running modded 318, 287, 360, and 408 engines in front of these units with good results, however the general consensus says "O-YOUNG PADOWAN~ PLAY WITH FIRE AND YOU WILL BE BURNED EVENTUALLY"

Back to me: As far as the parts issue goes, it's the same deal for the 3550. Not only are there no upgrades but I'm pretty sure there aren't even any rebuild parts available. There may be some left around but I'm pretty sure they aren't being manufactured as I've heard more than once the manufacturer is kaput.

One vendor I talked to said between the parts availablity issues and the quality control issues, the best 'stock type' trans available is the AX15 built to Terminator specs and sold by rsgear.com or George at Tcaseunlimited.com.
Of course that's a 4WD ready box cuz that's all I speak :-(

21 - 39 of 39 Posts