Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think that an NV3500 would stand up to a Hemi? or would it quickly self destruct? I want to do a Hemi swap, but also want to do a 5 speed man. swap as well. Should i just stick with the auto :huh: I just love shifting!:drive:

· Registered
106 Posts
It probably would for a short time. Another person on here had considered that swap as well, only problem is that the bellhousing and case is all one unit on the NV3500, so you can just swap the bellhousing to mate it to the hemi. I would probably look for another trans from Tremec or similar.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just don't know what else would work with the four wheel drive and what-not, otherwise a little custom work would be easy enough. but I dont want to mess with that kind of stuff.

· Registered
433 Posts
was there not a slightly beefed up NV3500HD?

· hobby or addiction?
605 Posts
Im not sure, i'll be able to tell you how stong the NV3500 is pretty soon. Im just finishing my 408/5 speed project...

I see thats what you're running... I think it would be ok tied to a Hemi for a little while anyway haha

· Registered
106 Posts
My NV has lasted on about 6K with the 408, its not completly dead but it makes noise in 4th gear at WOT, its out now and Im in the process of putting in the TKO, which I have been documenting my experience on bionicdodge.com, I will have pictures up when I complete the deal, which will hopefully be within a month or so. I would expect a NV to last a short time behind a Hemi, if driven hard, if its treated nicely it may last longer.

· Registered
406 Posts
there was a nv3500 HD tranny, that was rated to 340 tq instead of 300, but dodge never used them, i don't know what they came in but theres gotta be one. its got slightly closer ratios too, and yeah put 5.7 hemi in and hope it holds it will work but for how ling till you want a TKO or it just blows up. if you want hemi swap tips talk to yellowkota2k he's the hemi swap man.

· Registered
406 Posts
thats odd because the rams just have the standard nv3500

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So thats pretty much a 'no' from the sounds of it (holding up to a hemi that is). Prolly not looking like it would hold up to a fully built 4.7 turbo either, but I might try it anyway, I love shifting through the gears enough to deal with it.
But what is this 'TKO' trans? will it work on a 4x4?

· Registered
406 Posts
TKO is a transmission built by tremec and sold by a veriety of distributers they come in two versions the TKO 500 and TKO600, it depends on what gear ratios you want, but kiesler sells them myabe you can pick one up, not sure if it'd work with a 4x4 for sure

· Registered
1,305 Posts
just a little side note.The nv3500 is not a dodge transmission,but a new venture transmission made for dodge.I would think there are parts made to beef up a 3500 and even change some of the ratio's of the gears.Instead of asking dodge,try asking new venture for tips.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts