Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a set of light weight hood springs. I just installed a aar cuda hood and the hood flex's more than I like where it attaches to the springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brad:evil:

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
2001quadcab said:
Does anyone know where I can get a set of light weight hood springs. I just installed a aar cuda hood and the hood flex's more than I like where it attaches to the springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brad:evil:
As far as I'm aware nobody offers a set of hood springs with less tension - many of the aftermarket fiberglass hoods tend to have the flex problem on our trucks because the stock springs are so strong.

Your only real alternative is to remove the springs from the hood hinges and use a prop rod.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does everyone go to the prop rod or is there anyone that has left this problem unsolved and left the stock springs? If I can I'll leave the stock springs and just close it by pushing above the springs.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I don't know of many people who are using the prop rod, I think the majority of the people with fiberglass hoods just live with what they have.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll just leave em for now. Hopefully I don't get any cracks.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could talk to a welder or other metal expert, but I believe heat will weaken the spring

you could get a couple of hood springs from an auto wrecker, get a welder to heat them up (weaken the temper) and then switch them with your current springs

The other thing you could try is, if you have a local auto wrecker that will let you pick parts, find another chryser product with lighter hood, or another manufacturer which uses a silmilar size spring and has a lighter hood... switch the coil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts