Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, please!

I have a 99 4x4 Durango with a 5.2L engine, it had a noisy lifter so I am replacing all of them. Being the shade tree mechanic that I am, I did not note the direction of the oil passage on the lifters when I removed them. I have the new ones ready to put in but I don’t want to put them in backwards.

Does the side of the lifter with the oil hole in it face the block or the valve valley?

Thanks for any help I can get.

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts
According to my service manual install the lifters with the oil feed hole in the side of the tappet body facing up(away from the crankshaft).And the alighning yokes installed with the arrow pointing toward the cam.

DEPUTY

·
Registered
498 Posts
SlammedR/T......You Rock!!!
Cudo's for a fast response and a very helpfull reply.
Im happy to be a member of this board knowing that I can get accuate help in a timely manner.....
High fives for everyone!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with Chris4x4, SlammedRT you rock!

Thank you for the info, that is exactly what I needed to know. Now I can get back to work.

Thanks again.

Bus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the lifters went in fairly easy. The only problem is after putting it all back together I still have the ticking noise. All the push rods were straight, rocker arms looked good and are getting plenty of oil. Now I'm back to square one and not sure what to do next.

Here is some more info: 1999 5.2L with 58,000 miles, I am not sure of its history as I have only owned it for a year. Has a "ticking" sound AFTER it warms up. It is not noticable in the cab except at higher RPMs right before it shifts, then it rattles pretty good. Under the hood it is noticable at idle and through out the RPM range. When I removed the plugs they looked really good and have been in for about 5000 miles. I don't think it is an exhaust leak because it makes a very "mechanical" ticking sound.

Could it be a rod bearing? How would I check for that?

I love my Durango, but it is starting to pi$$ me off.....and cost me money!

Thanks
BusDriver

·
Registered
498 Posts
could it be the timing chain slack adjuster????
Ive had a tick related to that before.....

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts
These motors don't have chain tensioners,But Mopar Perf. ofers one now.Anyway,its kinda hard to diagnose with out touching it so I recommend take it to a trusted mechanic and let him decide.He should be able to tell by ear or with chassis ears if it is a rod knock or what.Did the first owner change the cam in it? an aftermarket cam has a diff. base circle and would cause that noise with out adjustable rockers.Did you put the rockers and pushrods back in the same places you pulled them from?

DEPUTY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts