Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals.
Man there are so many thoughts going thru my head right now so I'm really interested in see what you guys have been able to do yourselves or the little Detail things that you've decided to have done by another. I have a Stock Appearance 2005 ST Dakota that really needs some TLC in the appearance dept if you know what i mean.

Lets see your Painted Rotors or other Brake stuff, Painted inside Dash Trims, Painted Door Handles, Engine hoses, Battery Covers, Engine Dress Up's, Center Consoles, Painted sway bars, Grill Inserts, Painted Stock Rims, Painted Air-Filter Box, Painted Stock Air-Hat/Resonator, Painted Interor Parts, Polished Aluminum Stuff, Has anyone made their own Bull Bar's or Grill Guards?

What ever makes a Show Truck a Show Truck...

Okay yeah so whatever I'm sure there's alot more that could be listed so show us what you've got or something maybe someone else has done.

Pictures, Links, Suggestions, Tips Welcome. :bow:

I know there are lots of Talented people out there and so if everyone has only even done 1 little thing and show us, this should be an interesting thread. So lets all see what you've got.

Thanks Peeps.

Jim.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pretty Stock if you see what i mean.

Attachments

· July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
These pics are old and very outdated to my trucks current appearence but here ya go:

· Registered
41 Posts
Hey a show truck is what you make of it. The little things that you do that is different is what catches the eyes of everyone. A new hood and front bumper cover add a new look. Everyone here has some really cools idea here. IMO some look great and some i wouldn't do but that is what great about customizing our trucks. Good luck and keep us posted. the parts information page here has everything at a click away.

Jeff

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to paint my Handles and trip inside to.
Whats a good color to go with the Atlantic Blue?
I've always like the color of the Performance Yellow but dont think those two will go together.

Great Job Tho. :bow:

Jim.

· July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
I think a blue on blue style would look very good in your truck, shoot some pics of your stock interior and I'll take a look and see if I can come up with some better ideas for ya :biggthump

· Registered
468 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Well, I've been doing DIY stuff since I've owned my D, but more so on my latest build. The guages below have been done for a while now, but the engine stuff is recent. However, I've got newer pics that I'll be posting soon.

In order:
- Custom Guages
- A/C compressor with my own stainless painted blue washers which are featured throughout the motor
- Detailed 4bbl M1
- Overall engine shot, but from a few months ago. More recent ones coming.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,240 Posts
DurangoDudeNJ said:
Well, I've been doing DIY stuff since I've owned my D, but more so on my latest build. The guages below have been done for a while now, but the engine stuff is recent. However, I've got newer pics that I'll be posting soon.

In order:
- Custom Guages
- A/C compressor with my own stainless painted blue washers which are featured throughout the motor
- Detailed 4bbl M1
- Overall engine shot, but from a few months ago. More recent ones coming.
Can you e-mail me some details on how you purchased/processed the washers? I went with blue anodized washers from GSM but Scott only sent me a partial order and after 5 months of waiting I doubt I'll ever see them, I'm wondering if I can manufacture more washers to round out the set and have them look the same.

3,871 Posts
DurangoDudeNJ said:

mind if i ask where ya got the A/F meter? something ive been looking for and exact place i was wantin to go for.

· Registered
499 Posts
SinCity R/T said:
Can you e-mail me some details on how you purchased/processed the washers? I went with blue anodized washers from GSM but Scott only sent me a partial order and after 5 months of waiting I doubt I'll ever see them, I'm wondering if I can manufacture more washers to round out the set and have them look the same.

No problem Steve! Here's the step-by-step:

1. Sand each washer with rough grit sand paper
2. Spray each with an etching primer
3. Use Plastikote's "Anodiz-it" two step system, follow instructions
4. Clear coat with Plastikote high-temp engine enamel clear. 3-5 coats is best for a durable deep gloss

Keep in mind, DO NOT use these washers directly under the bolts. You MUST use a smaller washers under the bolts to prevent the paint from being ripped off. A smaller washer under the bolt will protect them and allow the color to show around it. I got a polished stainless bolt kit from www.alloyboltz.com which came with the smaller washers. Also, make sure you let them dry at least 72 hours so they harden up good. I've found they are pretty durable after that time.

Lastly, don't expect these to survive tightening over and over again. Losen and retighten two times or more and you'll need to replace them, so make extras and if you can help it, once set leave 'em alone. Granted these aren't the perfect solution vs. true anodizing, but man they look great!!

Hope this helps!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.