Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fire Durango
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried replacing their 3457 , 194 921 and 9006(fog light) bulbs with LED lights. I tried some cheap crap from ebay and kept blowing fuses on the 3457. Any suggestions on manufacturer, I love the look of the LEDS, I also hear about some people having to use a load balance for the turn signals to work correctly, any problems on that front? I have been looking at Jam Strait bulbs and seem to be impressed, any suggestions would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I doubt it is the bulbs. You probably need resistors in line.

·
Fire Durango
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bulbs are self sufficient have resitors in them and for the most part look like the filament bulbs. However due to low current draw some flas incorrectly without the assistance of a balancer

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The resistors he's referring to are load resistors. Put in line with the LED bulb to fool the system into thinking there is the proper load. If there is no load, the system thinks a bulb is out and causes rapid flashing to alert you...

In many cases, removing all of the filament bulbs will cause it to not flash at all (this was my case).

www.autolumination.com They have lots of nice bulbs and also have the load resistors needed for proper operation.

PS - Don't use LED's for the fog lights...you won't get any kind of useful light out of them.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Installing one led in signals for instance will give you a hyper flash. Installing more will make the flash worse or completly stop flash at all. I know I tried it one at a time. I had to get a led flasher to compinsate it(resistors do the same). It sounds simular to your fogs. It's kind of like a let you know feature for people that never check that stuff. Your blowing fuses cause it is about 90% power return with the leds. So it blows a fuse. Like if you had an accident and break both lights, it will pop the fuse to prevent shortening elsewhere and you can drive it to get it fixed.

·
Fire Durango
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok appreciate the info, The fogs work fine they never really gave any good light anywhoo since the dealer installed them and they are aimed high and the adjustment screws are stripped. But the blowing fuses was from the Turn signals, I'll just stick with the ole regular bulbs and spend my money elsewhere I guess. Thanks so much

1 - 6 of 6 Posts