Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a coolant drip today... any drip at all on any of my vehicles drives me nuts. Traced to to the petcock. Now I've read there is an o-ring on the petcock, but also read that I could just replace the petcock.
Any ideas where to by one, a petcock that is? I looked online at the Autozone, Advanced Auto type places and found nothing.

Anyone removed one and replaced it or the o-ring?

Hopefully I can open it and drain the tank. If the engine is bone cold will I end up draining the block as well as the tank? I hate trying to burp this thing.

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No thoughts on this one?

·
Mongo lift heavy things..
385 Posts
Did you try tightening it? I don't find one right away with google, but there is some info that you can replace the o-ring on other dodges. If it doesn't have a replaceable o-ring, you can live with the leak or replace the radiator. Me, I'd try to replace the o-ring & if that isn't an option, get a new radiator since it could probably use one.

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you try tightening it? I don't find one right away with google, but there is some info that you can replace the o-ring on other dodges. If it doesn't have a replaceable o-ring, you can live with the leak or replace the radiator. Me, I'd try to replace the o-ring & if that isn't an option, get a new radiator since it could probably use one.
Due to my body lift and street scenes grill in the lower valance I cannot easily get to it.
I too looked for a replacement w/o any luck. I also saw what you did about other dodge products having a replaceable o-ring.
The radiator is not that old really... but when it warms up I will have to remove some parts to get to it and check out that o-ring deal.
I was hoping someone might have a radiator lying around and they could look...

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just replaced the o-ring on my 03 Durango.Just matched it up with a similar one and it hasn't leaked anymore.
Does it just pull out or is there a trick to it?
Also... will pulling the petcock drain the entire system?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Turn it about a 1/4 turn and pull out on the plug and it will come right out.You may have to use pliers like I did because its pretty tight.The block shouldn't drain just draining the radiator.Hope this helps.

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured as much

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
I have a leaky one too. I tightened it and it still leaks, not as much. Im thinking about putting a bead of blue RTV around the edges of it to stop it.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
If you need a new petcock, and can't find one, a radiator shop could probably fix it, if a o ring doesn't.

·
Just a guy with a truck
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd probably have to pull the radiator for them to fix it though huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts