Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My durango since the day I got it has had very poor heat, I changed the thermostat to the factory 192 tempature just incase it had a diffrent one in it and it did not change it any...

Both hoses get hot but the one returning from the heater core takes a long time to get hot after the feed side is hot. The tempature control is working or atleast somewhat because if you turn it to cool the air will drop to whatever the outside temp is and go back up to being slightly warm when you turn it back to hot...

What should I do/check now?

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
Your heater core is partially plugged, you should be able to back flush it and regain good heat output.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats just a matter of unhooking the lines and using a water hose to push it backwards through correct?

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
Yes, if that doesn't help you may have to replace the core.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heat...

I have had this issue in just about every Dakota/Durango that I've owned. My solution is quick and has worked in every instance. Go to the car wash...disconnect the heater hoses from the WP return (left side) and the union near the coil (right side). Take the pressure gun and blast through each hose for about 1 minute. Reconnect the hoses...top off the coolant; and I guarantee that you will have hot heat on the way home.

thanks
Allan

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I have had this issue in just about every Dakota/Durango that I've owned. My solution is quick and has worked in every instance. Go to the car wash...disconnect the heater hoses from the WP return (left side) and the union near the coil (right side). Take the pressure gun and blast through each hose for about 1 minute. Reconnect the hoses...top off the coolant; and I guarantee that you will have hot heat on the way home.

thanks
Allan
Yeah, your back-flushing the heater core when you do that. However, by driving the car to the car wash the motor will be hot. I wouldn't pull any coolant hoses while the motor is hot. You'll spray a bunch of very hot coolant all over the place and potentially burn yourself. Better to wait for the motor to cool down before pulling any hoses.

Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts