Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm looking to get a new set of headers. I was planning on getting the GS Motorsports headers but i see now that KRC came out with Hooker long tube headers. I was wondering which one would be better. I did read the difference in short and long tube before but i can't remember what it said. They are both 1 5/8 tubes into a 3" collector. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the two. I am planning on going with a true dual exhaust or just a single 3" system and run it out in front of the rear tire. If anyone has any experience or info with these please let me know.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
long tube headers are supposed to make more torque and the shorts big tube is for lots of high end hp. id go with the long tube headers...you might have clearence problems though...

M

·
0 Posts
Some things to think about:

Long tubes can be dificult to install, but with the KRC setup you DO NOT have to grind on the tranny bellhousing, or chop into the cross member like previous versions.

Long tubes provide huge gains over shorties on the low end, and give up very little through the top of the rpm range.

Look at it this way, when was the last time you ran across a race car/truck of any kind running shorties? Everything from Pro stock drag cars to Nascar, to SSCA to Road race cars all run full length's. Some cars run a modified long tube/ tri-Y but they still all dump into a long collector and overall tube length is almost always over 30"

IMO the only benefit the GS might have were on forced induction stroker motors where you really need to flow huge amounts of air. I'm talking 550+ RWHP trucks where getting the extra 1/8" diameter tube will help the top end.

I have been waiting for these Hooker supercomps for a long time and can't wait to get them installed. They will be attached to spintech 2 1/2" duals, going through a Dr. Gas X-pipe and using the side exit pipes.

I'm very confident this setup will prevail on the track and on the dyno compared to anything currently available. If you have a blown 408 pushing 600rwhp they might be a bit small, but at that point you should be running a custom built big tube anyway.

I plan on dyno testing this setup on my 5.2 as well as the 5.9 that's being built in my garage. If your in SoCal and want to compare them to what ever your currently running feel free to hit me up, we can possibly arrange a test session.

If anyone wants to call me out on the gains, to quote Val Kilmer "I'll be your huckleberry"

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp made my mind up then, i lost a little low end with the M1 and i am taking it that those headers might bring some of it back. I will probably get that and go with a 2 1/2" true dual exhaust somehow. When i get the money i'm orderin em. I am from ohio not so cal wish i lived in so cal so i didn't have all this crappy weather but what can ya do. If you do some dyno testing on a 5.9 with these headers let me know i would like to know what the results are.

M

·
0 Posts
They will definately hit the dyno on the 5.9, not sure about the 5.2 yet.

Dude you don't want to live in SoCal, trust me. There are only 2 good things out here, the weather and the girls, you will come to hate everything else. The traffic sucks, every single thing you can possibly think of cost 15% more than the rest of the country, Oh Traffic sucks, Housing prices are completely out of hand, and did I mention how much traffic sucks.

back to the topic, yeah those headers rule.

M

·
0 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention The Traffic Blows, all hours of the day or night

seriously, if your ever in socal do your best to stay away from the 405, it's faster to push your truck up a hill.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aight i'll make sure i stay out of socal. I live in ohio and the traffic doesn't suck just the weather. Its hard to really drive my R/T when its snowing more than 50% of the year. but once it dries up and gets nice its clear sailin.
Well i am probably going to get those headers as soon as i sell my stock rt rims. I have a 100 shot of nitrous and i am using the stock exhaust manifolds. I was debating on getting slicks or headers but i think i'll get the headers first, then the slicks. So hopefully i can get some of my low end street torque back with those headers. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Awesome

We are ready to roll with the Hooker kits. They are bolt in and go like Buzz said. I'll post when we have some dyno numbers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think they have them posted on the KRC website for 699 same as the GS Motorsports headers. But i am going to go for the long tube to try to get my low end back cause i'm not always at the track. I want my truck to have the best of both worlds, High end for the track and low end for the street. So thats why i am going to go for the long tube headers. I'm just waiting till KRC gets the dyno numbers done.

Hey Bill , if your reading this, My mods to my truck are in my signature will i be ok to run those headers, i plan to get the KRC 220 cam, 1.6 harland sharp rollers, 52mm F&B throttle body, and the KRC 2.02 street ported heads, then the timing gears, pushrods, valve springs and stall converter with a tranny valve body. Do you think that i will be ok? Let me know what you think, i'm up for any suggestions. Basically i would like to have low and high end power. I know thats hard to do but i'm willing to sacrafice some low end for top end power or visa versa.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea i noticed that after i posted it, i went and checked them out.

L

·
0 Posts
I had my 2003 R/T CC dyno'd a little while back with everything in my signature except for the ignition system and 24lb injectors, it ran 263hp and 380 tq at the rear wheels, the temp was around 80 and was at 1300 ft. The GSMotorsports headers and 2.5" exhaust sounds great, looks great, and performes awesome.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow you made some good numbers. Does anyone have anything on the KRC long tubes yet? I'm still waiting to see what those made.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts