Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have(as we all do) a big problem with the brake dust on my rims, from the disk brakes. Has anyone ever looked into kleen wheels? I was looking at the painted set. Does anyone know if the will fit over the drum brakes in the rear??????

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I was thinking about a set of black ones for the front of my truck, but I think i am going to hold off and when i do pad, just go with a very low duse pad like a Hawk HP or EBC Green stuff.

·
7,610 Posts
summit racing has a great deal still goin on for hawk pads for half price of what there worth, i have a set but waiting to get some new rotors before putting on since mine are a lil warped, i hav not yet came across a dak or rango that doesnt have a front brake dust problem but from what i hear that the disc cover dont really let the brakes cool down like needed too

·
Registered
613 Posts
I didn't really use my covers for too long. When i first bought the D, it had the factory brakes and i couldn't keep the dust off the wheels. Opted for the covers, used them and they kept the wheels clean. Then i had to get new brakes and went with ceramic pads. Put the pads on in the spring along with my other wheels(which the covers wouldn't work with cause they only work for the factory wheels) and didn't really have a dust problem. So since then, i haven't used them again. I can't comment on the brakes not cooling properly with the covers, as i never used them in the summer, and only used them for one winter with hardly any hard braking.

·
Clean Machine!
2,219 Posts
They do keep the wheels cleaner, but you do run the risk of making the brakes heat up much quicker, resulting in decreased brake performance and possible rotor warping. I speak of this from personal experience. I'd suggest against them, but if you do get them, there is no need for them on the rear if you have drums. If you have a dust issue with drums, then something is wrong!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rayjj said:
They do keep the wheels cleaner, but you do run the risk of making the brakes heat up much quicker, resulting in decreased brake performance and possible rotor warping. I speak of this from personal experience. I'd suggest against them, but if you do get them, there is no need for them on the rear if you have drums. If you have a dust issue with drums, then something is wrong!

i don't have a dust prob. on the rear i was looking at the painted set, and wanted the back to match the front and not look retarded. i have since decided against them anyway.

thanks all for your input. thanx.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I don't think that brake over heating would be that big of a problem with them. Your best bet is to run a low dust pad. Waxing the rims will help them clean up faster and the brake duast will not stick as bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.