Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a kegger intake from another memeber and I was thinking about painting it to add a lil flare to the engine bay, my problem I've never done this before and I dont know the proper steps to do to make sure it comes out nice and stays looking good.

oh and I dont have any paint equipment I was just going to use spray cans, any advice would be great. Thanks Phil

G

·
Rattle can high temp aluminum with high temp clear on the outside and inside with no clear on the inside. Works great!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Dwight that does look great, I think I'm going to go with a color rather than aluminum; Oh BTW should I change injectors or just keep the stock ones I have a couple mods (see sig) but I'm not sure about the injectors

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
As good as that looks, to the unsuspecting eye, it just looks like a really clean stock intake.

If you're gonna do it, I say give it color.

G

·
Wow Dwight that does look great, I think I'm going to go with a color rather than aluminum; Oh BTW should I change injectors or just keep the stock ones I have a couple mods (see sig) but I'm not sure about the injectors
Just an example but you can go with any color you like. As far as the injectors go, I really like these new Ford 19# 4 hole. Idles a lot smoother and just all together runs better. Money well spent IMO.

As good as that looks, to the unsuspecting eye, it just looks like a really clean stock intake.

If you're gonna do it, I say give it color.
That's what it's all about, clean and neat. Besides, I had the aluminum paint and clear on the shelf and it matched my VC's so why go buy more. :D

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
It does look really good. I wouldn't mind doing that to my own intake, but the way he was saying, he wanted something to stand out, as to match the truck or something

G

·
This is the guy I got mine from. He does good quality work and is super reasonable on his prices. He'll give you credit for you're old injectors if you send them back to him after the install. These are the type with the style connector you'll need ('00 up) so get in touch with him and see what kind of price he'll make you on 6 of them shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUST...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439d0f9a11

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
I was gonna ask you about those injectors, you said they are Ford injectors? 4 holes instead of 1? or however many our Dakota's have? Is there any performance gains out of this? or just smoother running? Do they plug right in to the stock connectors?

G

·
I was gonna ask you about those injectors, you said they are Ford injectors? 4 holes instead of 1? or however many our Dakota's have? Is there any performance gains out of this? or just smoother running? Do they plug right in to the stock connectors?
Yes to 4 hole instead of one like the stock ones have.
Yes to performance gains, IMO.
Yes to smoother running for sure.
Yes to plug right in to the stock connectors IF you have a '00 up model.

The one I posted up are for the '00 up models with the oval connector (EV6). Your truck being a '99 model, you'll need the one with the retangular shaped connector (EV1).

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
That's something to look into.

I would like to try this on my 98 CC 3.9 Daily Driver, and see the results, then do it on the 99.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Damn that aint too bad. Gonna have to give that a try. If i only got a lil more MPG out of the DD i'd be happy lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does look really good. I wouldn't mind doing that to my own intake, but the way he was saying, he wanted something to stand out, as to match the truck or something
Yea I think Im going to spray it blue, just to give the engine bay a splash of color!

I emailed that guy I dropped your name fyi I just told him that I need 6 of the ford 19 #4 hole so i guess ill see what he charges me... thanks for the help dwight, like always

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Paint is obviously cheaper and quicker (since you're doing it yourself), but IMHO the best treatment for an intake manifold is powder coating, hands down. If you remove all the accessories and bring it in ready to coat (minus masking), then the price shouldn't be too bad. There's a huge variety of colors and textures available, and maintenance is a total breeze - oil/dirt/etc. slides right off with a hose or windex.

No matter which direction you go, the advice I'd pass along is to make sure you mask off all the flat surfaces where the bolts/gaskets will go, as well as the injector holes, plus the flat sides on the bottom that mate to the heads. I've seen instances where people just sprayed the parts as-is, then experienced problems where the gaskets had trouble sealing, or the paint/coating cracked when they cranked down the bolts/washers.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
I also say powder coat it instead of painting it, I've got several parts done this way and its hell of a lot easier to keep it clean like Steve said!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to power coat it but i dont know of anyone in my area (western Pa) that does it and Im only going to be home for 2 weeks and im only planning on spending 2 days workin the kota, so i just want to get everything done, maybe come summer time ill put the stock one back on and find a guy to powder coat it then.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Speaking of pc, i gotta call and get a quote on them doing my wheels Monday

1 - 20 of 25 Posts