Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of having some fun with my electrical system.. maybe.

It started with me wanting to install a Start button like the SRT-10 and Viper, just to be different. In reading some threads over on DT, someone brought up the point that a Start button that still needs a key is kind of pointless. I agree.

The electrical functions of the ignition switch could be bypassed easily enough, but the key also locks the steering wheel.

Here are the questions...

1. What would it take to perminently unlock the steering column?

2. Could this be accomplished even though I have a chip key?

I really want to do this, so I am hoping for some good information. For security, the button could be protected by two hidden switches that would both need to be on in order for the button to work. One switch could activate the fuel and ignition, and the other would be a hidden backup for the Start button.

To start the truck you would just hit the ignition/fuel switch, hit the security backup and press the button. It was suggested that it could be wired so that the Start button is only active while power is being fed to something else, like a window motor.

To shut it off, you would just kill the ignition/fuel switch.

Am I leaving anything out? Am I forgetting something? If it works out, I'll be doing the same thing to my Challenger that needs some ignition wiring work anyway!

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
My first thought was your crazy, and my second was Hell Yes do it!!
:biggthump

Its gonna be tricky with the steering column, not sure how to attack that one and For the chip key you would have to do soemthing so it always thinnks it there, but wouldnt start without the right combo of buttons. Its an awesome idea just have to figure it out....

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to go to the dealer and have them print me a blow up of the steering column assembly, hopefully that will show me how to unlock it for good.

The rest should be easy.

F

·
0 Posts
As far as the chip in the key, take it out and mount it in close proximity to the key cylinder, thats how it works. the factory alarm might need to see a key in the cylinder so you could activate the key sense wire, fooling the computer.
With the key cylinder released, thats easy enough, it's usually a drop pin that locks it when the key is removed, so disable it.
It sounds like you want something cool, but I dont know if it is cool enough for all the work you will have to go through to get it to work the way you want. It sounds like too many steps to start the vehicle when all you have to do now is turn the key.
If you want something cool that will impress people, add a remote start that you can control functions like the power windows, so, say when you activate the alarm, the windows roll up. Thats cool. Then have the 2nd auxillary function roll them down. Thats cool to.

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Ya know, even the cars that have push button starts.. STILL HAVE A KEY. Just don't know why you would want to completely get rid of the key.

But if you really do, ill write you up a really cool diagram that will make it so only you can power everything up, hows that? And as far as the steering lock goes, its just a little pin up by the ignition, right near the back of it, just break it off, make sure you dont just pull the sping out, or you'll hit a bump just right and your wheel will lock up.

·
Keepin' It Keebler
179 Posts
The point of the keyless ignition is to warm up the vehicle and look cool. I have it, it's awesome.

BBBUUUUTTTT, I like the idea of it still needing the key....I like it alot better when the truck shuts off when a theif jumps in my running truck. ;)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You gave me an idea. I had planned a secondary switch that cuts power to the first switch, which allows the button to work.

Here is a decent scenerio. You get in and sit down, activating a weight sensitive switch in/under the seat. You hit a hidden switch somewhere, which activations the ignition and fuel systems, then hit the button to start the engine.

Since the seat switch, while weight is on the seat, is completing the fuel and ignition surfaces, the engine should shut off simply by getting out of the truck.

Is there a hole in my plan?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
can i be honest? i dont see the weight thing happening, that sounds like some hi tech shyt that could only be possible on tv, BUT, it you did it, 1 it would be tricky and 2 it would be tight as hell and i would pay gas for u to come show it to me. no matter how u do it getting rid of a key is a cool idea, unless somehow u lock urself out. heres an idea but its probley worthless, can u leave a key in the thingy, and maybe jus break off the handle to where u can still pull it out with pliers? or would that not do nething at all?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pressure sensitive switches should be easy enough to find, so that shouldn't too big a problem, but installing it would be the tricky part. As far as getting locked out, I planned on carrying the remote entry FOB.

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Blackdak...Did you see my post for the completely keyless entry?? Its in General Part forum

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boomin5POINT9 said:
Ya know, even the cars that have push button starts.. STILL HAVE A KEY. Just don't know why you would want to completely get rid of the key.

But if you really do, ill write you up a really cool diagram that will make it so only you can power everything up, hows that? And as far as the steering lock goes, its just a little pin up by the ignition, right near the back of it, just break it off, make sure you dont just pull the sping out, or you'll hit a bump just right and your wheel will lock up.
I need more info on this. Can you look at the two pics I attached and show me what I need to remove?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts