Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to program the keyless entry remote for a 1998 Durango? I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and have the working #1 remote that came with it. I bought the appropriate #2 remote off ebay, but can't find how to program it. I found instructions for 1999 and up (the kind of rounded remotes) but no luck for 1998 (square remotes). Can this one be user programmed, or do I have to go to a dealer?

Thanks!

Eddie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I ended up just taking it to the dealer to program. Cost me $30 for 1/2 hour labor. Near as I can tell for the '98s there's no way to program them yourself - gotta have the computer hookup. :-( Anyway I have 2 working remotes now, so that's handy.

G

·
The directions on how to program them for my 99 Dakota and 03 PT Cruiser was in the owners manual. Even the pass key for the PT is programable by the owner as long as you have one that works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I found lots of instructions for the 99 and up, but I think the 98s were different. I admit I didn't try the instructions for the 99 on the 98, so maybe they would have worked. but I never found any instructions that claimed to work for the 98 and I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual.

Don't the 99 and up models have a curvy, rounded remote? The 98s have a square one, so I think it's a different system. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time!
;)

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by esheffield

Don't the 99 and up models have a curvy, rounded remote? The 98s have a square one, so I think it's a different system. Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time!
;)

I need to know about this if anyone has any info on it. Don't need to waste $$ on ebay:D Thanks

G

·
Even the cheap after market keyless alarms and remote starters let you program a new remote. Even if the shape of the remote is different I wouldn't think the system would be drastically different.

What does your 98 owners manual say? If you don't have one I would get one.

G

·
I was looking for replacement keyless entry remotes not too long ago and I found a site that had them for $24.99 for my Durango.

I had them delivered in less than a week and the programming instructions only took maybe 10 seconds?

Anyways, here's a link to the site:

Https://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

Just click the Dodge category, or type DURANGO in their search box.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
Wow you may have taken the all-time NecroThread award with this one.. Almost 10 years old.. For future reference, don't dig up old threads like this, just make a new one. ;)

Do you have an existing working remote? If not, you will have to have it done at a dealer. There's no way around that, it's a security measure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.