Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 dodge dakota keyless entry only hold remote entry codes on new programed keys for two days then need to be recoded / reprogrammed.

took to locksmith he gave up after returning 3 times. (coded with computer)

removed all keys from system and reprogrammed - lock/unlock work for 2 days now can not lock or unlock.
can use all keys to turn on and off engine. only factory key will work 100 percent of time. recoded every time with new remoted.

any and all help will be appreciated.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
594 Posts
Very strange problem. Normally I'd assume that the key codes would be stored in flash memory that does not require any battery backup. That would be in a body control module or security module. But that fact that your codes become invalid after two days suggest that they are stored in battery back RAM. I really don't know.

Find out what module the codes are stored in and dig into replacing that module. Might need dealer assistance.

Are your new keys from a reputable source? Maybe it's the keys, not the modules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very strange problem. Normally I'd assume that the key codes would be stored in flash memory that does not require any battery backup. That would be in a body control module or security module. But that fact that your codes become invalid after two days suggest that they are stored in battery back RAM. I really don't know.

Find out what module the codes are stored in and dig into replacing that module. Might need dealer assistance.

Are your new keys from a reputable source? Maybe it's the keys, not the modules.
Purchased keys from a local lock smith. Fcc# match up on both sets. Everything works fine as in lock unlock panic engine start. Just loosing them after what seems 2 days 48 hours. I did not think about the module you mentioned. I will definitely look into it. Great idea and thank for sharing your knowledge.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
594 Posts
Your original key does not get "lost" ?? It continues to work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir, the original works every day. Used my neighbor IM508 Maxim auto key programmer To erase all keys that are programmed in. Then reprogrammed all the keys starting with originals first. Had to purchase the 4 number key code from dealer just to make sure everything was correct. Dealer will not disclose or talk with me. They just want me to bring it in so their techs can look at it.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
594 Posts
I'm going to change my tune I guess...... I didn't realize your original key has never failed. You said something about that in your first post but it wasn't quite clear to me.... I'm more inclined now to think your new keys are at fault. Did your locksmith install new batteries when he sold them to you?

Has the battery in your original key been replaced? if so, when?

I take it the truck has remote start (per post # 3) and that's a button on your key. The mechanism for powering the key is different when it's in the ignition cylinder -- it's powered by the truck not it's internal battery -- so that would explain why the keys all work to start the truck when inserted into the ignition cylinder.

The FCC id number means little, by the way, it only identifies the hardware, the firmware could be totally different between identical samples of the same hardware.

Once the key is "lost" -- do all remote functions fail, or only lock/unlock ???? The answer to that might change my mind yet again.....

There must be a member here with far more knowledge about these newer Mopar systems than me.... My truck is an '03 and the fob has no remote start or security functions. Just lock/unlock/panic. The key itself may be chipped, not sure, but it has no battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for sharing you knowledge. I did not know about FCC#. I took it that if I got the same fcc that everything should work. Today was day 2 and not quite 48 hrs. All still working. All keys have new batteries for x 2 weeks. If they fail to work tomorrow I’m just going to try another set. Going to see if lock smith will give money back and try another company. Here is another thing driving me crazy. Using the borrowed scan computer I can push the buttons on each fob and it tells me the button it push and the fob number. All the keys indicate on computer are transmitting. Yet in the 48hr period the new fob will transmit but fail to lock/unlock/panic or start engine. Never have I ever run into this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts