·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
:drool: What a nice ass setup!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have any more info on this product? My tranny is dead and I'd much rather upgrade then get stock and have it die again. Is there any r/t's around with this 6 speed conversion?

·
Registered
165 Posts
i saw the yellow rt with the 6 speed conversion in his truck at the rt nationals in maryland this year. It was cool but he was burning clutches really bad. he was taking people for rides down the road and you could really smell the clutches burning. I was wanting a conversion but after that i decided against it. Seems like it would be more of a problem than any good

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mofinwiley over on www.dakotausa.com put a keisler 6spd conversion in his truck awhile ago. He has the 4.7 tho.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i used to own a camaro w/ a 6 speed, and man would it be awesome to have it in my new r/t. super low 1st gear and sweet 6th gear cruising 80-85 at 1900rpms.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
that must be a big job to install into a rt...5.9 only come auto trans...you gotta install pedals and crap...

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
One of the guys in our local MAD R/T club is having his done at Keisler's. They've had it for over 6 months and it still isn't done, but it's almost ready. His name is Barry Young and he is heavy into Auto-Xing his R/T. He just recently got to take it for a little spin while they are still working some bugs out. He said that it is amazing the power on tap with this 6 speed.:drool:

This kit is just not ready to be a simple bolt on mod. Tons and tons of fabricating to get everything right. And Steve (MoFinWiley) and Barry have been guniea pigs during this process, so buyer beware for now.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It is finally done. Putting the stock gears back in the rear diff right now. Absolutely no problems with the trans at this point. Very fun, good manners in town everything. Mine is getting the final documentation done today for the kit. Everything should be ready soon for this. I had the first CC done, and it is a lot different than the RC. I also had different gears installed in the trans itself which caused about 2 months delay. Tremec was slow on getting the gears I wanted made. Also had to get a new driveshaft and B&G reflashed the stock computer. I also had a street and strip clutch installed, no smells. It did at first, everything including the gears were very tight, a bit of driving and it loosened up quickly. Now it's just me getting used to that clutch. When it engages, it grabs now!!! No slipping here. I am getting the truck back this Friday, so if you have questions just post them.

Barry

·
Registered
685 Posts
Forgot to mention, I left it at his facility the end of October. Didn't start to actually install the trans until about 1 month ago. Had lots of business in front of me and I didn't really need the truck at the time. Shafi and I also researched and changed a bunch of things before the trans started to be built. I am glad I waited. Also, it's expensive right now. A lot of machine work goes on inside the trans to make the shifters end up in the stock location, custom bellhousings, computer, list goes on.

Barry

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you already had a 5-speed Dakota would it not make this swap much less expensive? Do they literally have to "build" you a tranny or are there compatible tranny's? Just curious, I would love to have that extra gear on the interstate...

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you already had a 5-speed Dakota would it not make this swap much less expensive? Do they literally have to "build" you a tranny or are there compatible tranny's? Just curious, I would love to have that extra gear on the interstate...
Wow, talk about bringing up a thread from the dead and buried haha...

Yeah it would make it a lot easier. You still have to get a bellhousing modded to fit the different trans though. Plus probably a driveshaft to fit if there is any length differences. Maybe some electronic gizmos if they are different.

I used a standard Viper spec T-56 in mine. Then I had the overdrive gears lowered to make it a lot more drivable. Also had the shifter moved to the forward location so it would come through the floor in the stock location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts