Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got New rubber for my Dakota, & while I had the wheels off I decided to clean the baked on brake duston the inside of the wheel, so I wet sanded them with 400g sand paper, took about 10-15 min a wheel & well worth it This is my spare that I just did while I wait for the 5th tire to come in....

Sorry I dont have a before picture that would have really shown the difference but Iif you look at the Face of the inside of the Rim, thats exactly what was baked on there that came off, what a hugh diff :D

I was hesitant at first about sanding metal cause I thought are these gonna rust now, then I remembered aluminum doesnt rust, So I tried one waited a few days just to see if there was any kind of adverse reaction, & 2-weeks later im still good, & what a difference.

Just sand in the direction of the grain, circlular, obviously & your good to go!! :drive:

RJS...

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Looks good. Now get some good pads and you won't have that brown residue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good. Now get some good pads and you won't have that brown residue.
Not to familiar on brake pad replacements as far as low dust, etc..Would love to know some Superior ones to buy, how about a recommendation? Thanks!

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Ceramic has little to no dust and great breaking.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Water, detergent, and a scrub brush got 95% of it off for me. letting some simple green soak and scrubbing it got some more off too.

I've got ceramics on my cobalt. there is dust, just less of it and it's a beige color instead of black. So you can go 5x longer before they start to look nasty. I put em on without replacing the rotors and they seated fine, so I don't believe the bs about having to buy new rotors when installing ceramic pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts