Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a K&N aircharger and filter on my 04 durango. In my opinion I have lost low end torque. Truck doesn't set you back when you get on the gas. What has happened?? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Which is it?...just the drop in filter?....it's it's not the FIPK then your not going to know any difference that will make you feel the "butt dyno" as they call it...You'll notice the better gas mileage and like me a slight increase in throttle response but nothing like what you would experience with the actualy intake kit...the drop ins are more for gas mileage and and slight help in torque and power, not to mention the lifetime million mile life of them....

-Alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K&N aircharger

I installed the whole aircharger kit (FIPK). Any ideas why I am losing torque?

S

·
0 Posts
You didn't lose torque it just got moved higher into the RPM range increasing your horsepower and torque up high

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K&N aircharger

I still am confused as to how the aircharger works. Please enlighten me. I seemed to have much better pickup off the line as well as when I kicked it into passing gear. Know I have the strong hemi noise but not the torque I had before putting the K&N system on.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maybe Sin can EXACTLY explain it to you...but the stock intake box is EXTREMELY restrictive, the whole process of increasing horsepower in your engine is an easy principle...."breathe in and breathe out" the better you make both of those possible the more power you will have...The FIPK is designed to create a more fluid flow of air into the the engine, it is extremely less restrictive then the stocker, so you should be getting better flow...i was always under the impression that the FIPK gave you better accelration rather then top end, i could be completely mistake though..

-Alex

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
iaw dodgetalk.com the reason it feels like you lost low end torque is because the air hat( assuming ya have the big sqaure one) acts as an air reservoir. so when the engine needs air it just uses it right out of the airhat instead of having to suck it allllllllll the way from the filter. thus being the reason i removed my cai and used a setup containing my original intake airhat along with a 360 intake tube. thus illiminating the "hesitation" felt when punching the gas with the fipk setup installed. try it out and see the difference between the 2 .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
durango aircharger blues

Thanks all for the advice. I did call K&N today and they told me to disconnect battery for at least 3 hrs. Seemed extreme but I did it. Truck is back to it's old self. Great low end torque as well as on the upper band.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts