Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: i barely started trying to paint my own interior. so i started out really little with a little thing off the door panel. its like alittle triangle of plastic don't know what its for its just there. well anyway i cleaned it, let it dry, then started sanding it. then when i thought it was done i wet it and sanded it some more to make it even smoother. came out pretty good i think. what i wanna know is when i sand it, am i suppose to sand it until its completely smooth or leave some of the texture on it. i hope i didn't mess up already cuz i left it smooth, if i did let me know so not to further mess up my interior, thanks guys and gals. :help: i'll take some pictures of them tonight so you can take a look.

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
First off what grit sand paper did you use? You wanna make it smooth. Otherwise the paint will have a texture and you won't get a real good shine. If you're worrying about the paint sticking, it will. The sanding takes the texture off but give the paint something to grab. You should be fine.

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
l

i started with 100 and then i wet sanded with a 100, after that i wet sanded with with 220. is that good enough, cuz i think i read another thread where a guy was using 1000, unless i read wrong. its pretty smooth right now but if i'm supposed to do it with the 1000 i'm sure it can get way smoother. does it matter where i get the paint, like wal-mart, pepboys, autozone or are they all pretty much the same. i'm trying to get everything in my truck black, with some hunter green in to match my truck.

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
Yeah you should definately go smoother. You can do a thousand but I didn't use quite that high. 400 worked for me. Then just pic up some Duplicolor or whatever brand you want at PepBoys.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
I used 400 and 800 when I sanded my mirrors to paint them. so 400 should be ok to use. But I would still get the 800 to make it as smooth as I could.

Also No plastic primer is needed with the ABS plastic. I didn't prime mine when I painted it. Just use very light coats for the first two coats , then spray as normal.

I sprayed all the abs plastic with with Semi-gloss black. You can use any
color or type paint you want since it is ABS plastic.
Vinyl dye used to be required before all the auto manufactures decided that ABS was the way to go for interior pieces

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k

well i was at my local walmart last night when i found the 1500 cc sandpaper, i used that and man thats velvet almost, hehe. i mean those things are soft, hopefully i didn't over do it. i'm gonna head out right now to pepboys and buy i guess duplicolor for interior/plastics unless thats all duplicolor is made for. well yeah i'm planning on doing EVERYTHING in my truck, so its gonna take me a while but hopefully it comes out good and i'm getting practice just in case i need to help a friend do theres. yup i love my dakota and all you dakota owners. we're great aren't we. lol :jester:

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
Hell yeah man. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Take some pics when you're done.

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, i painted those two little things, and the back panel, the back panel didn't come out too good so tomorrow im planning on adding another coat to hopefully make it look better, but the things on the doors i think it looks ok, well i was gonna put pictures on here but i have no clue how, stupid thing is all complicated

Attachments

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Those things on teh doors are the dummy switch panels. People with power windows and locks have their switches there. I didnt know what you were referring too until I saw the pics. I hope you aren't painting that back panel with it in the truck w/o taping off the rest of the interior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts