Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Vimnjicki
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newly rebuilt 5.9 is finally in the truck and running but for all the mods I have done to it, it just doesnt feel right. It doesnt pull like even a 300 hp engine would, even though I have been told by every mechanic and service person that, looking at the mods, it should make around 500hp. I am using an SCT with a custom flash from Hemifever, and it really did smooth it out when I flashed it from the stock tune, but it still doesnt feel right. I'm planning on taking it to the dealer (shudder) but I really dont want to ($104/hr). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What do your afrs look like? What mods do you have?

·
Registered
609 Posts
did you try contacting hemifever?It took him a few times to get mine right.Like nitro said what mods have you done?

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
What makes you say it doesn't feel right? Have you taken it to the track? Dyno'd it? Do you have a wideband A/F guage? Hemifever is very conservative on his tunes without infor from either a dyno with A/F ratio or datalogs with a wideband a/f ratio. He doesn't want to be responsible for blowing your engine.

·
Vimnjicki
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. Mods: block bored out 0.040 over, zero decked, align bored, magnafluxed. Reconditioned stock crank and rods. Keith Black kb107 pistons, new rings/pins. CompCams Xtreme Energy camshaft with 265 intake and 224 exhaust duration with 114 degree lobe separation. hydraulic lifters with hardened rods. Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers. Hughes/Edelbrock FI Airgap intake manifold with 50mm throttle body. Edelbrock headers. PATC Mega Viper level 3 46RE tranny (yeah, kinda hokey name). Brand new PCM from Dodge. All new sensors. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about Sean. Not at all. I guess I expected to be able to smoke all four tires when I flashed it. So that's what I meant when, in the title, I said "...after Hemifever flash". It runs okay. Idle is at about 1000-1100 rpms. Revs easily in park and neutral but just no power in gear. Kinda pulls like the stock V6. I'm asking in here to see if maybe I've done something wrong before I call Sean. Thanks for your replies.

·
Vimnjicki
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah. No track or dyno data. It's not even registered yet. I have to get it tuned so that it will pass smog so I can get it registered so I can get to a dyno. Will Hemifever even talk with me without that data?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
He'll send you a base tune that's uuber safe to start, it's up to you to provide him with the data to fine tune it properly. And just for clarification your not gonna smoke all four tires... No matter what lol. Also you're nowhere even near the ballpark of 500 horsepower with your stated mods.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Okay. Mods: block bored out 0.040 over, zero decked, align bored, magnafluxed. Reconditioned stock crank and rods. Keith Black kb107 pistons, new rings/pins. CompCams Xtreme Energy camshaft with 265 intake and 224 exhaust duration with 114 degree lobe separation. hydraulic lifters with hardened rods. Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers. Hughes/Edelbrock FI Airgap intake manifold with 50mm throttle body. Edelbrock headers. PATC Mega Viper level 3 46RE tranny (yeah, kinda hokey name). Brand new PCM from Dodge. All new sensors. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about Sean. Not at all. I guess I expected to be able to smoke all four tires when I flashed it. So that's what I meant when, in the title, I said "...after Hemifever flash". It runs okay. Idle is at about 1000-1100 rpms. Revs easily in park and neutral but just no power in gear. Kinda pulls like the stock V6. I'm asking in here to see if maybe I've done something wrong before I call Sean. Thanks for your replies.
yeah... you put a yellowfever tune in your truck...

side note? that combo wont make near 500hp....not with a 50mm TB at least...or shorties...

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
He'll send you a base tune that's uuber safe to start, it's up to you to provide him with the data to fine tune it properly. And just for clarification your not gonna smoke all four tires... No matter what lol. Also you're nowhere even near the ballpark of 500 horsepower with your stated mods.
damnit ya treed me....LOL im thinking about 350 at the crank on a good day with good air on those mods and a DECENT tune...

·
Vimnjicki
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah! I forgot the heads. RHS racing heads with 2.02 intake, 1.63 exhaust and 11.7:1 compression ratio and Ford 24 lbs injectors. I dont need to make 500 hp. 350 is fine, actually, anything over 300 is fine. I sent him the list of mods. data meaning afr's? hskr, "Do you have a wideband A/F guage? Hemifever is very conservative on his tunes without infor from either a dyno with A/F ratio or datalogs with a wideband a/f ratio. He doesn't want to be responsible for blowing your engine." is "A/F ratio" air/fuel? Hey, I may be old but I'm new to this. Forgive me for not knowing some of this stuff. Thanks for your advice/reply, everyone. I really want this thing to run.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Oh yeah! I forgot the heads. RHS racing heads with 2.02 intake, 1.63 exhaust and 11.7:1 compression ratio and Ford 24 lbs injectors. I dont need to make 500 hp. 350 is fine, actually, anything over 300 is fine. I sent him the list of mods. data meaning afr's? hskr, "Do you have a wideband A/F guage? Hemifever is very conservative on his tunes without infor from either a dyno with A/F ratio or datalogs with a wideband a/f ratio. He doesn't want to be responsible for blowing your engine." is "A/F ratio" air/fuel? Hey, I may be old but I'm new to this. Forgive me for not knowing some of this stuff. Thanks for your advice/reply, everyone. I really want this thing to run.
:forehead: yes A/F is air fuel....wow :forehead:

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
You have pretty much the same mods as me, but I had a 2bbl M1, smaller cam, and a 52x55 TB and my truck only put down 290hp to the rear wheels. You have a 4x4 and will not make as much at the wheels. With my new cam and 4bbl M1 with a tweaked tune I'm hoping to get over 300hp to the wheels, but haven't been back on a dyno and am getting my tranny rebuilt because I think it's slipping a little.

Not sure who told you that your combo should make 500hp. Obviously they don't know Dodge too well. I was hoping for around 320 to the wheels when I had mine dynoed and was quite disappointed until I started looking at other trucks numbers with similar mods and realized I'm about average. I've also ran a best of 13.75 on the drag stip with the above mods, but going by the online calculators 290rwhp shouldn't get me a 13.75 run so who knows.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
set the base timing at 18*, total timing at 34*, and it should all come in by about 3000 rpm, then dial in the jets
The jets on the fuel injection...that would be interesting.

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
You should of done a 408 stroker kit if you wanted 500+HP or a radical build.

i would highly recommend you find a new mechanic. If they are telling you you have 500 WHP and they did the work...i would be very concerned.

·
Vimnjicki
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. By the way, I wish I could find another mechanic, but the one I have is me, so better is possible but cheaper? nope. Anyway...If I buy a wide band AFR gauge and all that like the innovate system, dont I still have to go to a dynamometer place to test it under different loads, rpm's, etc., to get the tune right? I dont want to change the tune every weekend because I'm not racing with the truck but I do want to optimize the PCM for power and driveability. Do I understand the SCT to be able to have more than one tune in its memory? Maybe one for power and the other for Smog-ability? Maybe a third for mileage? I havent rebuilt an engine since the mid-seventies and very little if anything was electronic, much less digital. we "tuned" with a screwdriver, timing light and some busted knuckles. Please be patient with the old-timer. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. By the way, I wish I could find another mechanic, but the one I have is me, so better is possible but cheaper? nope. Anyway...If I buy a wide band AFR gauge and all that like the innovate system, dont I still have to go to a dynamometer place to test it under different loads, rpm's, etc., to get the tune right? I dont want to change the tune every weekend because I'm not racing with the truck but I do want to optimize the PCM for power and driveability. Do I understand the SCT to be able to have more than one tune in its memory? Maybe one for power and the other for Smog-ability? Maybe a third for mileage? I havent rebuilt an engine since the mid-seventies and very little if anything was electronic, much less digital. we "tuned" with a screwdriver, timing light and some busted knuckles. Please be patient with the old-timer. Thanks

Yes, you can hold 3 tunes in the SCT and hundreds on your computer... so your tuner could literally write you as many tunes as you need.

Once you have a DATALOGGER you no longer need a DYNO. The data logger will allow you to record your AFR @ RPM ... you take that saved file and e-mail it to your tuner... he writes you a new tune and e-mails that to you... you upload that to your hand held and then data log it and repeat the process.. Normally this takes anywhere from 4-6 tune files before its nailed down... Supercharged set ups will take a few more.

Invest in a data logger... this is HIGHLY suggested for the set up you currently have... This is one tool that you should not skip in order to pinch a penny... it will be the most valuable tool in your tool box as it helps you protect your investment.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
If you really want to nail the tune down, find some place that can do custom SCT tunes with an in house dyno close to you. Email tunes are only so good and everyone is going to be "safe" enough that there is no chance in blowing your engine, but still leave some power on the table. Also, most email tunes don't do anything for part throttle tuning, they deal mostly with WOT tuning. I know a guy in SoCal that went from a "custom" email tune to a custom dyno tune from a local shop and picked up 12hp, still has a safe A/F ratio, and his overall driveability improved.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts