Dakota Durango Forum banner

Just lowered my Durango but now the tires are rubbing into the fenders

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  radta7 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I'm running 275/60/17 tires and a 2" drop front and rear. The truck went down lower than I thought and the stance is pretty sporty. However, any little dip or bump makes me cringe when the front tires hits the fenders. I'm thinking of taller bump stops to limit the wheels' vertical travel but not sure how it might affect ride quality. Would multi-valve shocks alleviate this problem? I like the wheel set up I have currently but if I have to, I'll consider swapping my 60 series for a lower profile 55's. Or should I raise my truck back 1" and if that can be done, what kits are out there to allow me to raise my truck that much? Thanks

Joshua :help:

G
#2 ·
Joshua said:
I'm running 275/60/17 tires and a 2" drop front and rear. The truck went down lower than I thought and the stance is pretty sporty. However, any little dip or bump makes me cringe when the front tires hits the fenders. I'm thinking of taller bump stops to limit the wheels' vertical travel but not sure how it might affect ride quality. Would multi-valve shocks alleviate this problem? I like the wheel set up I have currently but if I have to, I'll consider swapping my 60 series for a lower profile 55's. Or should I raise my truck back 1" and if that can be done, what kits are out there to allow me to raise my truck that much? Thanks

Joshua :help:

I would check your bumpstops first. You might need to change them out.

#3 ·
:confused: Are you still running the stocker bumpstops out front? Those 275/60R17's are a 30" tall tire which is pretty high for a 2'" drop. If it were me I'd swap out the tires for something a little lower profile. Multivalve shocks will help your problem but it won't completely eliminate it. You've spent all the time and money to lower your truck and it probably looks damn good. Don't go and raise it back up to overcome this problem. You'd be going backwards. Just my two cents worth and a suggestion anyways. :huh:

#4 ·
I get a little tire rub when turning lock-to-lock with my 275/60-17's. I'm going to drop my front 2", but I'm going to 275/50's.

#5 ·
Yea... Get smaller tires... 275/60R17 = 29.99" Tall AKA HUGE

A 285/50R17 would give you a nice meaty look, and be 28.22" tall... Nice fat tire, so it'll still look mean, and it'll be a tad wider too (Of course, I have NO idea if that size even exists... :rofl: )

#7 ·
Joshua said:
Yeah, if I change the tires, it probably will be 275/55/17. Damn! And these tires are only a couple months old!
If you have 2wd you can run the smaller tire on just the front and lower the rear an extra inch.

#9 ·
If you like the look, why don't you just cut out the plastic that the tires rub against?
As far as different size tires, the outside diameter of the tires should be the same or they will turn at different speeds.

G
#10 ·
I corrected the problem fellas. Just needed to get taller bump stops. The fronts needed a little trimming and the rear was raised a 1/4 in using a couple washers I had welded together. I still get a little rub only when I run over dips at a considerable speed. Other than that, it's all good. Thanks again fellas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.