Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rebuilding Everthing
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 04 Dakota quad cab 4x4 with a blown motor. I have sometime to work on it so I was thinking I will do 5.9L swap(had a 4.7L), F-250 straight axle swap, new trans staying auto, going with an AWD tranfer out of dango(don't know the name of it), 37s. What have other people done? What other ideas do u guys have?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
From what little bit I've read, 5.9 swap aint worth it. Hands down, the 5.7 Hemi is one of the best and easiest motor swaps you can do. You get alot of power to begin with, and oodles of aftermarket support for that motor. Check out this thread http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75706 DontShoot67 has all the info you need. Last I heard, he was making engine mounts to adapt the HEMI into the Dakota engine bay. He was also offering to make new oil pans too out of the Hemi oil pans using the 4.7's bottom half of the oil pan, which is a requirement for the 4x4 trucks to clear the differential at stock height. If you're doing a huge lift, the modified oil pan might not be needed but I'm not for sure.

·
Rebuilding Everthing
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I forgot guys where dropping 5.7 in there. I wonder if I can do a 6.1? Aren't they the same motor mounts? With the after market following I could have some real fun with it.

·
Rebuilding Everthing
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump.....No one has input

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Uses the same mounting, can be used on the same tranny, I have no clue if the wiring and computer is the same in any way. The engine is extremely hard to find, and expensive as hell, while the 5.7 is relatively cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agreed, the 6.1 engine will cost alot more to purchase.

·
Rebuilding Everthing
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 6.1 would be a great motor but after doing some looking into I can make the same power out of a 5.7 for alot cheaper. What about the SAS any ideas

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Definetly stick with the 5.7 swap. You'll have a better engine and trans that way with better reliability and just as much power potential if you want it. You would have at least as much wiring to do with a 5.9 swap and it may not work at all (since the 5.9 was not offered in anything for 04 and 03 computers are different).

Might I ask why you'd go with an AWD t-case? Going with SFA would give you the option to run a locker or LSD up front since you would have lockout hubs. Going AWD would eliminate that option because the hubs would have to be locked all the time.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I would also suggest going with a different transfer case, that will significantly reduce the potential it would have by eliminating your possibilities of safely running a front locker/LSD as caulk04 mentioned. Is there any particular reason for wanting to run one of those, aside from the fact that just about every other offroader that has one would be willing to just about pay you to take theirs so they could swap to a part time unit lol.

·
Rebuilding Everthing
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definetly stick with the 5.7 swap. You'll have a better engine and trans that way with better reliability and just as much power potential if you want it. You would have at least as much wiring to do with a 5.9 swap and it may not work at all (since the 5.9 was not offered in anything for 04 and 03 computers are different).

Might I ask why you'd go with an AWD t-case? Going with SFA would give you the option to run a locker or LSD up front since you would have lockout hubs. Going AWD would eliminate that option because the hubs would have to be locked all the time.
I would also suggest going with a different transfer case, that will significantly reduce the potential it would have by eliminating your possibilities of safely running a front locker/LSD as caulk04 mentioned. Is there any particular reason for wanting to run one of those, aside from the fact that just about every other offroader that has one would be willing to just about pay you to take theirs so they could swap to a part time unit lol.
Ok u both are going to hang ur head along with anyone else that reads this. The reason for the AWD T-case is because it will be a pavement princess only being used to drive through snow and maybe tow stuff every so often. Dakotas and many dodge are not really trail worthy but are great at towing. I know I just open a can of worms but I also have a yoda. Not to mention this truck is going to be use by my gf more then me. She wants pretty and big, doesn't care if it can take on the Hammers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts