Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Durango its 2000 4.7 it has no balls but idles fine dosent like going up hills and takes forever to hit 45 and wont go any faster and trans works just fine. Any ideas of what the problem could be i need help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Might start easy. Check your plugs. Cats? Could be clogged.

Congrats on the truck. I recently bought my 1st a few months. Have yet to drive her (prob dropping a new motor in her).

·
9,489 Posts
It depends on where your truck was originally sold. It could have one, two, or three.

·
rusty shackleford
18 Posts
Take a look at your spark plugs, first of all. I've bought some used cars with issues you're describing, turned out a tuneup hadn't been done in eons. Get a decent spark plug tester, they plug into the wire then to the spark plug. Hopefully that coil's sparking nice and hot, and each spark plug wire is getting good spark.

It's probably not related, but take off your throttle body. It's 7 or 8 bolts [four on housing, three/four on detent cable bracket].
Remove all sensors and clean it out. Use throttle body/air intake cleaner. I was short on cash, so I just used acetone based solvent. Replace throttle body gasket if it's obviously damaged
Replace PCV valve on passenger side. Driver side is just a recirculated breather.

Verify there are no vacuum leaks anywhere. Remove IACV from the rear of the throttle body [T25 Torx I think] and thoroughly clean that port. Don't move the pintle of the IACV at all.

My Durango sat for years before I bought it, and these steps got me to a perfectly running daily.

Some people remove O2 sensors as a way to vent the exhaust gasses pre-cat to see if a cat may be clogged. Something tells me they'd be getting insanely hot and you'd have some black smoke. Personally, I'd just remove the cat and see if there's a difference. Not sure how else a good diagnosis would be made. This would be last on my list.

How many miles on the truck?

Just realized this is from July 1st, d'oh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts