· Registered
2,398 Posts
17" wheels
Sport shocks
Larger front sway bar
Two tone interior
Sport tuned muffler
+5 HP over the std 5.9
The Durango R/T built up to 10/01 had a unique PCM that requires preimum gas. Note it was not the Mopar performance PCM. Performance was questionable and pinging was common. Dodge dropped it. Durango R/Ts after that date had the standard SLT PCM.

· Registered
26 Posts
definitely have to put the premium gas in them, i had an 00 rt durango, if i used anything other than premium i had major spark knock and the power was just not there either

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My RT has a build date before 10/01 and a pcm flash performed in 03 i believe. So according to the build date i should run premo but what is the PCM flash all about...it has a number that i could post if anyone knows what that means. Superchips ...so good or no good for my RT? I like what i see for it.

· Registered
285 Posts
DurangoR/TGirl said:
The good thing about the R/T needing premium gas around here is that I have a gas station near my house that sells the premium for the same price as the cheaper stuff on Mon, Wed. Fri and Sun!
R/T's don't NEED premium?

They run off of regular unleaded as stated from the factory.....unless you're running boost or nitrous that is. Don't want ya spending alot of money for no reason. :biggthump

· Registered
2,398 Posts
The early DURANGO R/Ts did require preminum. That is Durango R/T only, not Dak R/T. read my above post.

· Registered
2,398 Posts
Read my above post. The computer is different between the Durango and Dak. The computer on the early Durango R/Twas unique from the other Durango 5.9.

· Registered
2,398 Posts
It's a fact. The PCM on early Durango R/T's had a unique part number. Labels were in the fuel fill door for "preminum fuel only" and in the owners manual. Late 01 those labels dissapeared and the PCM was the same as the std. 5.9. The build date 10/01 was from information posted on thje Durango Owners Club forum. I cannot confirm that exact date but it appears to be correct.

· Registered
138 Posts
My R/T build date is 05/01 and my owner's manual and the fuel door state to use 87 octane or regular grade.

It' runs fine on 87 and 89. I have never tried 92-93 but I didn't notice any difference with the 89 at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.