Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all this is my first post, I just bought my first dodge,It's a 2002 dodge durango sxt with the 4.7 engine. First question is about how many miles should i get out of a 25 gallon tank of gas.......... I just had my upper ball joints replaced as part of the recall, I really love this truck or suv but after i keep hearing people tell me that the durango is junk it's starting to make me nervous, Is their any 2002 sxt owners out there that has some good things to say about their vehicle?? My durango has 35,000 miles on it and so far it has ran great...Other than the fuel consumption as i have been driving 6 cylinders for so long, I forgot how much gas an 8 uses......But i am thinking about buying a K&N air filter to help out with that.....Thanks for your replys.... :help: :help:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Congrats on your purchase! We have a 2000 Durango SLT with the 5.9L V-8. Even though it's a gas hog (we're used to it), I wouldn't trade it for the world. I think the Durango is just like any other vehicle, they'll treat you good if you treat them good. We tend to think of our vehicles like our children, so they're kept clean and maintained. Actually, my husband just spent 6 hours Friday night washing, waxing, detailing, and installing the bug shield and vent shades on my Durango as a surprise. (Does this mean I should do the same thing to his Ram?? No...I think not. :jester:

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll find answers to any questions you have here. This seems like a wonderful site. I just joined yesterday, and already have one of my questions answered.

Welcome to the site, and enjoy your stay :wave:

Amy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Amy from Altoona PA from another Durago owner in Lebanon PA.
Ijust bought a 2001 Durango SLT and like it alot so far. Cant wait till it warms here in PA so I can clean and polish my new toy.

Roger :drive:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya! I've been waiting to get the salt off of it, but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait. My wonderful hubby did put a great wax job on it in February, and it's holding up quite well, thank goodness. Hope to see some pics of your on here!

Amy

·
Registered
509 Posts
coltsfan said:
Hey all this is my first post, I just bought my first dodge,It's a 2002 dodge durango sxt with the 4.7 engine. First question is about how many miles should i get out of a 25 gallon tank of gas.......... I just had my upper ball joints replaced as part of the recall, I really love this truck or suv but after i keep hearing people tell me that the durango is junk it's starting to make me nervous, Is their any 2002 sxt owners out there that has some good things to say about their vehicle?? My durango has 35,000 miles on it and so far it has ran great...Other than the fuel consumption as i have been driving 6 cylinders for so long, I forgot how much gas an 8 uses......But i am thinking about buying a K&N air filter to help out with that.....Thanks for your replys.... :help: :help:

coltsfan,

My 01' Durango has been very loyal to me since the day I bought it. The engine continues to give me trouble free service. Now..On your question is mileage my guess is that you should get an easy 300 miles out of that 25 gallon BUT I can't be sure. Perhaps a road trip will solve your question using you internal computer above you. For me all I know is that I can go from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on one tank easy. That's with the air on all the way. So if you do a road trip check your tire pressure and take a friend with you. For me this is my first car/truck with a V-8 and I make no regrets dispite the terrible gas prices here in L.A. On the issue of the recall I have a letter from Chrysler offering me the replacement IF the joints go out BUT not before. My extended guarantee is good until I reach the 100,000 mile mark so you all must have received a different letter.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
331 Posts
coltsfan
My wife and I own a 03 SXT and love it I have added a 360 Powershot intake and a high flow exaust to it and the thing runs like a champ... we just rounded the clock on it with 22000 miles in a year and a half now. Always do the regular upkeep work and what not and as with most things it should be fine and welcome to the site :wave:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Info

coltsfan said:
Hey Coltsfan,

This is also my first Durango, first Dodge, first vehicle all together. I bought it new and like everyone else here, I have not had a single problem with it yet. Well nothing the dealer wouldn't fix for free. I have also done some major modifications to mine and am not finished yet. When I first bought the truck, me and a friend took it out into his field, where I got all four tires two feet of the ground! No problems. As for you miles to a gallon questions, don't really know, here in South Carolina, I can go about a week (give or take a day or two). It all depends on your foot.

Later,

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
congrats on your new purchase :biggthump

·
CCHHRROOMMEE
96 Posts
Rimfire, what's up on the recall? They changed mine. Did this decision come from the dealer or Dodge? 300 miles sounds right, I avg 10.9 around town.
Coltsfan, people that don't own it might call it junk.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey coltsfan congrats on your purchase I have no probs with my 2000 durango 5.2 slt, my very first dodge to be exact. Envious is all they are, they just wish they were in your seat.Oh and go PATS :woot:

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read many forums on the Durango. Some good, some bad. I have a 99, and love the way it drives and handles. Just as the others who have replied to your post. You can get a lemon in any vehicle, and call it a piece a junk. I have had trouble with the front axles, driver and passanger window switches, and just had the ball joints replaced. I certainly would not call it a piece of junk. It has treated me very well and switched me from a Chevy girl. There are many of us with good Durangos, and that would not trade them for the world. Even if they are gas hogs :wave:

Congrats and enjoy :banana2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
congrats on the new truck. I was driving a small car before and I love my durango. I have an 01 and I bought it in Jan. I am just starting to put mods on its but Im sure you will love your truck, no far knock on wood. Mine has been very dependible. I would say for your tank size you could probably get between 250-300 a tank. I can drive to sacramento on a half and thats going about 80 the entire way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome and Congrats !!!

I liked my 2000 so much I got a 2003! This is by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. This includes VW's and SAAB's. I would recommend that you get a shop manual. It will be invaluable for you to learn how to do the simple things to your truck as far as maintanance goes. Other than that enjoy your new D!! :mullet:

·
Registered
1 Posts
yay great purchase this is my second dodge my first was a 98 dakota. this is my 2001 durango slt and i love it. i guess you could say i am a dodge guy bu i have never had any troubles woth mine. the only thing that ever went wrong with my dodges is on the 98 dakota i got a blown tranny becuase i was any idiot and nutral dropped it a few timany times and it had 136,000 mi. on it. i fixed it and i still know the kid that baught it and he is still in love with it. the k&n filter does help and to get the most out of it i have added a free flow exhaust every thing is great. dodges are great. only thing that dodge has made a mistake on is changin the body stile in the new model durangos.

p.s. i have also had all the recall stuff done.

·
Cody W
7,035 Posts
congrats on the durango. It all depends on who you talk to, a ford guy is going to say chevy and dodge sucks, chevy says ford and dodge suck, and dodge say ford and chevy suck. Dont worry about it, you wont have many problems, dakotas/durangos are awesome vehicles. Great power and twice the look of any other pickup/suv out there :biggthump

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've got a 03 SXT 4X4, not had any problems with it thus far. Love it!! Congrats on the purchase!!! :biggthump

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dablingo

I have an 01, I am a chevy guy from the beginning, this is my first mopar- I love the dablingo (Durango) 85ooo miles no major problems. Keep in mind it is a truck, and as such requires maintenance. I Change the transmission fluid at least once a year, or 12,000 miles, the transfer case also, I like to change the differential fluids every other year, or 20000 miles, and I use the best fluids, Mopoar +4 for the tranny and transfer case and full synthetic oils for everything else. I use Valvoline, I have heard people saying good things about AMSOIL, though you have to order it.

As far as gas mileage, with the 4.7 I average 18 or more for highway and around 12 for city, depending on how I drive, less if you are always in a hurry! On a recent trip towing my 3000 pound boat I averaged 14.5 which is great compared to the 11 my chevy truck gets, a lot more comfort also!

I will be installing the jet module and K&N kit as soon as I have some free time.

In this day and age Chevy, Ford, Dodge, it really doesn't matter like it did in the sixties. Besides they all have their plus and minus. I always liked Chevy because of low and available parts costs, plus they used a lot of the same parts for 30 years. As long as you are happy with it enjoy it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts