Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Ram 2500, 12v Cummins, NV4500, 4x2, dual stacks.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

For the longest time I've had a wild-hare idea to swap a Jeep 4.0 into a Dakota. Has anyone done it? Is it even possible?
I figured it would be more possible than, let's say, a swap into a Ranger, since everything is still Chrysler in a Dakota.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First off, measure the distance from the firewall to the radiator mount.
Then measure from the rear of the engine, where bell trans. housing bolts up
to the front of the engine including water pump and fan blade plus 2 to 4
inches for the fan clutch. Then measure the top to bottom of the engine.
Is there enough distance from the cross member to the Dakota hood.
Allow extra for air filter housing, etc.
If the engine in the truck now is a 4 or 6 cylinder you will have to change
the front coil springs and shocks to allow for the extra weight.
To the best of my knowledge you would be the first...
Also the transmission might be an issue to.
Good Luck, Daddyododge1

·
Registered
80 Posts
Howdy,

For the longest time I've had a wild-hare idea to swap a Jeep 4.0 into a Dakota. Has anyone done it? Is it even possible?
I figured it would be more possible than, let's say, a swap into a Ranger, since everything is still Chrysler in a Dakota.
Won't fit, that is the reason they made the 3.9 v6, because a straight six would not fit.

·
I drive with two feet
1,625 Posts
People have made a Viper V10 and Cummins 6BT to fit a Dakota engine bay. It all comes down to how much cutting and fabbing you want to do. I have a 4-banger 1999 RC Dakota with which I have dreamed to do this swap.

I think the electronics would be the lion's share of the difficulty. The mounting and driveline are all "doable" with enough time, imagination, and money.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedneckRam

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well that is true I have made some rather odd sways and yes it a depends on how much fabricating you are willing and capable of doing. I am intending on putting a OM617 Mercedes in a 94 Dakota 2wd next year, but that will be just mounts and driveshaft looks like it will be a simple swap. The electrical should be interesting, but the Mercedes is a mechanical injected diesel. So my biggest thing will be the speedometer, but I think that will be ran off the ABS speed sensor on the rear end.and the tach ran off a prox sensor off the hormonic balancer. and using Dakota Digital units to get them synchronized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts