Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine is a 3.9, so some of this might not apply, but here's what I did:

Taylor "spiral wound" 8mm wires are good replacements and not too expensive. Mine took a while to get because they had to order them from the factory. They fit the stock wire looms just fine, too.

NAPA cap and rotor has brass contacts, is said to be as good as the hi-dollar ones, and is very reasonably priced.

You may also be able to pick up an MSD coil for not too many $$. It was the easiest to install of any tune-up part on my truck! Except maybe the air filter.

I've had a K&N filter in it for years and like it, although I don't agree with their service intervals. I clean and oil it once a year in the spring. Winter around here is very rough on air filters.

I just use the standard Champion plugs but I've heard NGK's are a very good upgrade. Would've done that too but I'd just had a fresh set of Champions installed.

A tune-up is a beautiful thing! :wave:

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
i picked up a set of msd wires for a v8, just have the other two waiting right now...lol. autolite 3923's or something equilivant. 10/30 or 10/40 oil is good, they are about the same anyways. i use penzoil high milage 10/40 oil. takes five quarts in all the 3.9, 5.2, 5.9 motors.
my oil pressure is still way up after 162000 miles.

rear diff is 3 quarts. 80 w 90 i think it was, but mine has the auburn limited slip, so i need the additive for it.

i would change the brake fluid entitrely, then bleed system out. get all that old crap out. i syphon out all the old stuff out of the reservior first, (with a turkey baster or something similar), add in the new stuff, then gravity bleed it out.

get some crc throttle body cleaner, and spray the **** out of it, also take out your iat sensor, clean that too. this measures the air inlet tempurature, and sends a signal to the computer as to how warm the air is coming into the motor, and adjust certain perameters accordingly.

jd

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Actually its measured in pints not Quarts the 8.25 and 9.25 Rears only hold 4-4.5 pints of GL-5 Gear Oil I use Royal Purple Max-Gear in all my Dakotas and not one of them has had a rearend failure.And it has the Additives already in the fluid for Cone Style and Clutch type Lockers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.