Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
powderpimp1
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i took my 99 Rango into Dodge this morning to get my oil changed, A few hours later i get a call from them, and this is what they said!

You Need.......
coolant flush $129.95
Left front whl Bearing $405
Rear Shox $260
Front upper ball joints $360
Front Pinion Seal $175
Heater Hose $120
and a Serp Belt $127

= $1,576.95 parts and labor!

All I have to say is "Damn"!!! exhaust will have to wait another year i guss!

:argue::argue::argue::argue::rant::rant:

·
MADR/T Member
743 Posts
Don't let them push you around. Go verify for yourself the aforementioned needs to be done, then do it yourself. YOU can do all of that except maybe the front pinion seal for CHEAP.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
damn!!! $127 for a belt.... some of those prices are crazy!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds like they are looking for work. Better get a second opinion.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Well i took my 99 Rango into Dodge this morning to get my oil changed, A few hours later i get a call from them, and this is what they said!

You Need.......
coolant flush $129.95 $20 in coolant(cheaper on sale) and a couple buckets to catch it, flush the core while you're at it.
Left front whl Bearing $405 Haven't done this, but some one else could do it cheaper

Rear Shox $260 Are they gold plated? Why not get a lift for a little more?

Front upper ball joints $360 I think mine cost about $50, about two hours, might need to drill out rivets, get a ball joint breaker for $10.

Front Pinion Seal $175
Heater Hose $120 which one? Not worth any where near that much, and not a difficult job

and a Serp Belt $127 $30-$50 max, 10 minute install, 30 if you get frustrated, take a pic first to record the routing, I've had other vehicles throw me for a loop.

Don't let them push you around. Go verify for yourself the aforementioned needs to be done, then do it yourself. YOU can do all of that except maybe the front pinion seal for CHEAP.
damn!!! $127 for a belt.... some of those prices are crazy!!
Seriously, no way I'd let any one do that work, their outta their freaking mind, or they think you are. :stirthepo

·
Registered
237 Posts

You Need.......
coolant flush $129.95
Rear Shox $260
Front Pinion Seal $175
Heater Hose $120
and a Serp Belt $127

White Collar Crime Fraud... :rant:
You can do most of it your self. Or get a mechanically inclined friend to help :)

Shocks are $25 a piece for OEM [good] replacements and the rears are cake. Amongst that, many can be done by yourself or with a friend. And... get a second opinion on ALL of that, without mentioning what the previous opinion had said was wrong.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Never go to dealers for anything!

·
powderpimp1
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Shit thats wack!!! Theres no way im guna have them do it!!!
But on the bright side atleast i know what parts to keep an eye on until i get it to someone less greedy! the truck is getting up there in miles tho, With 124522 miles i guss its time to do some parts swap!

I just wasent expecting the price to be that painfull.
Any of yall have any issues with them parts?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I keep questioning those prices... $260 for shock... thats more than 200 in labor, and it does not take them that long... Serpentine Belt is $20-$30.. so how does it take them that long to swap that out? Sorry, it just seems amiss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow a serp belt is $15 and it takes 5 mins and all you need is a wrench lol. $127?? I don't understand where they get these prices I really don't...

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Wow a serp belt is $15 and it takes 5 mins and all you need is a wrench lol. $127?? I don't understand where they get these prices I really don't...

they have gold in them when from the dealer. DUH!

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts

You Need.......
coolant flush $129.95
Rear Shox $260
Front Pinion Seal $175
Heater Hose $120
and a Serp Belt $127

Well there's your problem.

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
depending on if you have just wheel bearings or hub assy. there easy to do as long as you have the know how to do it!!

wheel bearings = 10 mins.
hub assy = 20-45 mins (depending on rust)

everything else on this list can be done (in your drive way) for about a 1/4 the price!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Are they going to give YOU a "lube job" before they do the work?

How does an oil change get all that? Did you tell them to check over the truck while they were under it?

get the oil changed and run, do not walk elsewhere!
The belt-$10 and 5 minutes. The hose-maybe $20 and you change the coolant while there. 30 min tops.
Was there an oil leak from the seal?
You could buy a used Dak for that kind of money.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well there's your problem.
And that, kids, is why we call them "stealerships"

They charge for Dodge/chrysler-only parts... Not the way cheaper aftermarket OEM spec parts. They also charge a premium on labor.

quite often the factory balljoints are "one unit" with the control arms, which drives up the cost considerably.

And a true coolant flush is not the same as a drain/refill. A flush would involve running a cleaning agent through the engine before refill. However just a refill with new coolant is likely adequate.

·
MUDDIGGER
904 Posts
wow i havnt done most of that but i know both front wheel bearings on my 99 4x4 only took me about a hour to do, i seriously think just getting to the bolts for it is the hardest part, find something to use as a wedge (i used a old aluminum log splitter) and the olds pop right out, new one is as easy as tightenin the bolts to put in

·
Scrapin the Coast
715 Posts
I changed the wheel bearings on my Dakota, its not that hard to do yourself and you could do it for way cheaper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts