Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i go into my local off road shop today, havent been there in a while. i said, "im lookin to put a limited slip in my dakota, you got a used one laying around? its a daily driver, and i dont wanna spend the cash on a detroit or anything." he says, "is it a stick? i'd do a loc-rite. i got one sittin right there on the shelf, it was used for a day. $250 installed, including new axle seals and fluid." HOLY HELL! he said a guy bought it, used it for a day and absolutely hated it, so he had it taken out. now i just gotta wait for payday, dammit!

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
You realize a Lock-right is a locker, not a limited slip, right?

·
:banana2:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limited-slip-lockers-differentials.htm

Limited Slip Differentials, Posi-Traction (Posi, Posis)

Limited Slip and positraction (posi) differentials are designed to "limit" the tendency of open differential to send power to a wheel that lacks traction and redirect the power to a degree to the other wheel of the axle. The Limited Slip and Positraction differential will send power to both wheels equally when traveling straight, however when one wheel spins due to a lack of traction, the differential will automatically provide torque to the other wheel with traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials limit the loss of torque to a slipping wheel through various mechanisms such as clutches, gears cones, and other methods dependant on the unit. The limited slip and positraction will not provide 100% lock up of the differential in extreme situations such as when a wheel completely looses traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials are recommended for daily driven vehicles and are used in many applications where traction is sometimes needed as in emergency vehicles. They are also ideal for front axles of 4x4 vehicles that are not equipped with front hubs that can be disengaged. The term "positraction" ("posi" for short) was used by General Motors years ago for their limited slip differential and has been used to refer to limited slips since.

CLUTCH-TYPE LIMITED SLIP
GEAR-DRIVEN LIMITED SLIP

Lockers, Locking Differentials

A locking differential or "Locker" uses a mechanism that allows left and right wheels to "lock" relative to each other and turn at the same speed regardless of which axle has traction and regardless of how little traction a slipping wheel has. In this state, the axle acts more as a "Spool". This means traction can be sent to a wheel that may be planted firmly on the ground while the other wheel of the axle is completely off the ground. In this situation an open differential will spin the free (lifted) wheel sending absolutely no torque to the wheel in the ground. A limited slip in this situation will send some torque to the wheel on the ground but possibly no enough to provide any forward momentum.

Lockers use various mechanisms to provide lock-up and can be divided into two categories, Automatic Lockers and On-Command, or selectable Lockers.

Automatic Lockers:

Automatic locking differentials are designed to lock both wheels of an axle automatically when torque is applied so that both wheels are providing power. When torque is not being applied such as when the clutch is press down, the differential is allowed to unlock, permitting a variance in wheel speed while negotiating turns. Automatic lockers tend to create odd handling characteristics on the street as they lock and unlock and take some getting used to.

:D

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You realize a Lock-right is a locker, not a limited slip, right?
yes, i do. i just went in there wanting a limited slip because a used limited slip would have been far cheaper than a locker. but if i can get a locker for the price of a used limited slip, hell im fine with that! and ive got a stick to it wont be as bad with the locker as if i had an auto.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
yes, i do. i just went in there wanting a limited slip because a used limited slip would have been far cheaper than a locker. but if i can get a locker for the price of a used limited slip, hell im fine with that! and ive got a stick to it wont be as bad with the locker as if i had an auto.
OK just making sure..

But, autos are much smoother with lockers than manuals...

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But, autos are much smoother with lockers than manuals...
i dont think so....

Automatic Lockers:

Automatic locking differentials are designed to lock both wheels of an axle automatically when torque is applied so that both wheels are providing power. When torque is not being applied such as when the clutch is press down, the differential is allowed to unlock, permitting a variance in wheel speed while negotiating turns. Automatic lockers tend to create odd handling characteristics on the street as they lock and unlock and take some getting used to.:D
Hahns, automatics, while negotiating turns, still have torque applied to the axle while slowing down or speeding up, so the locker is still locking and unlocking since the wheels are turning at different RPM's during a turn. thats why trucks with auto trans and lockers are so loud and annoying to most people. thats why this guy took the locker im buying out of his truck.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice find... hope you like it. Make sure it's for your rear end before you give him any $$
i told him its an open 9.25" chrysler, and thats also what it says right on the box so we're good. i had the factory automatic locker in my 05 GMC and absolutely loved it, so im sure ill feel the same about this one.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
i dont think so....

Hahns, automatics, while negotiating turns, still have torque applied to the axle while slowing down or speeding up, so the locker is still locking and unlocking since the wheels are turning at different RPM's during a turn. thats why trucks with auto trans and lockers are so loud and annoying to most people. thats why this guy took the locker im buying out of his truck.
I have the Powertrax No-Slip in my truck. Absolutely love it and it doesn't make noise even though I have an automatis. You may want to research the Powertrax lockers a little more if you think it will have smoother opration because you have a manual trans. I know a few guys who had one installed and hated it with the manual trans, esspecially driving through parking lots.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Powertrax No-Slip in my truck. Absolutely love it and it doesn't make noise even though I have an automatis. You may want to research the Powertrax lockers a little more if you think it will have smoother opration because you have a manual trans. I know a few guys who had one installed and hated it with the manual trans, esspecially driving through parking lots.
is that no slip the same as the loc-rite? i dont see how they can make noise if the clutch is pushed in and its not tryin to engage. i usually use my clutch alot while swingin into parking spaces and whatnot. either way, im not takin it out even if it is noisy. the guy that runs the off road shop knows his stuff and he's built a lot of jeep and chrysler off road vehicles, and he too said id be better off with a stick than auto.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
It's not the noise that the guys with the manuals don't like it's the fact that when you push in on the clutch it releases, but when you let out on the clutch it instantly engages making clutch engagement at slow speeds a little jerky.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
i dont think so....

That is what you want, a light amount of positive or "negative" torque while turning, "neutral" torque will cause it to rapidly lock and unlock.
i told him its an open 9.25" chrysler, and thats also what it says right on the box so we're good. i had the factory automatic locker in my 05 GMC and absolutely loved it, so im sure ill feel the same about this one.
The grenade-lok in your GM works MUCH differently than a lock-right
is that no slip the same as the loc-rite? i dont see how they can make noise if the clutch is pushed in and its not tryin to engage. i usually use my clutch alot while swingin into parking spaces and whatnot. either way, im not takin it out even if it is noisy. the guy that runs the off road shop knows his stuff and he's built a lot of jeep and chrysler off road vehicles, and he too said id be better off with a stick than auto.
They're similar, the No-Slip has synchros that keep the teeth from ratcheting while turning. The lock-right shouldn't be noisy, at most you'll hear a light clicking at low speed turns with the windows down.

You have the right idea though, push the clutch in on tight corners in the parking lots works great, but a manual with a locker isn't as smooth as an auto and this is coming from some who loves lockers and hate autos...

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"neutral" torque will cause it to rapidly lock and unlock.

The grenade-lok in your GM works MUCH differently than a lock-right
im still not clear on how no torque will cause it to lock and unlock if they're designed only to lock under load and when the wheels are turning at different RPM's. and i know my locker in my gmc is physically different. i was referring to the fact of just having an automatic locker as opposed to a selectable locker or no locker at all. i dont mind the rougher drive at all. my GMC in all wheel drive threw me all over the place on snow with the locker locked and the front end pulling... and i loved every bit of it :mullet: i cant wait to get my MT's on the kota after this locker goes in, then it's play time

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
The Powertrax locker only unlocks when there is no torque applied to it. So if you are going around the corner and even tap the gas pedal it will lock it up. If you are into the gas before you enter the corner it's not unlocking just because the tires want to turn at different speeds. You will either get some bad wheel hop, or scrub the inside tire.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Powertrax locker only unlocks when there is no torque applied to it.
yeah, i understand that part. im just gonna have to try and engage/disengage the clutch when im goin straight, before or after a turn, thats all. i used to love drivin the CUCV's around the shop takin tight turns... those bastards had wheel hop like a mother! gotta love some dana 60's, 4.56's and a detroit :mullet:

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
im still not clear on how no torque will cause it to lock and unlock if they're designed only to lock under load and when the wheels are turning at different RPM's.
You'll understand what I mean when you use "neutral" throttle in a tight low speed turn, it will start locking and unlocking rapidly. It's easy to adapt to by changing your driving habits but I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
242 Posts
i have had loc rights for years they are definitely less friendly with a stick shift. pressing the clutch in a turn will actaully make it worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts