Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i had my friend in the truck, and he wanted to see about what my 1/4 mile time would be. i pushed the trip meter and he pushed play on my cdplayer, and i told him now when the trip meter got to 2.5. he said my time was 17.5-18. WTF? mods are in my sig, but shouldnt even a fairly stock one get better than that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A bone stock R/T is only in the mid 15's so don't feel bad on mine before I started the serious motor work and just had the CAI, Exhaust, and relocated/adjusted the IAT/TPS it helped but not enough to where it would run 13's or 12's the dakota is a heavy vehicle so if you want fast you're going to have to look into more serious mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i am ordering the k&n FIPK monday, that should help a little. then new tires before winter, 3/5 drop in spring, 75shot of nos before summer.:) what should that bring me to?

·
Registered
92 Posts
hey Cory, why don't you save some money a get the 360 intakez? the performance is the same and they definatly look better. Just my input.:eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the K&N is 129. btw, 360 doesnt make intakes for genII's. what do you think those mods would get me to (timewise)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, damn... sorry Cory I keep forgetting you got a gen II. But aren't the motors still the same 3.9?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
o damn, the 360 is only 145. if i were to get the one thats for 97-03 Dakota 3.9L it would work on my '96?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you really can't tell what your times will be with the mods it is like a trial and error thing. glad to see your not giving up though

·
Purple - The color of sex
1,229 Posts
Most stock R/Ts run low 15s, some 14s, a few mids. :)

Anyhow, if yours is a manual, stock should be around low 16s, mid for auto RCs. The gen 1 and 2 are a lot lighter than Gen IIIs.

That timing deal doesn't really work, try a real track and see what it does, then if it's 17s we'll figure out what's up. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to bring up an old thread like this but I really hope that you, Cory, didn't get ripped off by k&n I got the same type of filter an opean 14" round filter that fits the throotle body of our truck design for $25 and all I had to do was buy a bigger filter. The intake I got was a Mr. gasket and I found it at Farm and Fleet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, I don't really wanna come off as a dick here but I had the opportunity to drive a V6 Dak recently and the thing didn't have enough power to get out of its own way!

I wouldn't put a single penny into mods for that motor.. start saving for a Crate Hemi 5.7L, they are out there already. You could throw a ton of cash into that V6 and still get wasted by Honda Civics.

You could even keep your eye open for totalled Durangos and buy back the wreckage and swap out the 5.9L and computer.

On the other hand.. some people like challenges.. if that's you then good luck.

I'm just trying to put down an option that will get you more bang for your buck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i dunno, i think ive got a lot of potential with my truck. ive beaten alot of pretty fast cars/trucks, reg cab short box cheby1500 with 350 and manual, dodge steath 5spd, modded '02 celica etc etc...i think im going to save up for a supercharger over the summer and have my dak blown by my senior year

·
Stickhandler
60 Posts
Hey Cory,

I just got here and I don't know how long this thread has been around but you also might consider how inaccurate your method is. It doesn't account for reaction time so if your rt was slow it'd make your time higher, and relying on another guy in the truck to start and stop the cd player as a timing device (While ingenious!) is probably hurting your time too. The bottom line is if you are not happy blowing them off on the streets and want to get serious about yardsticking your performance improvements you have to go to a dyno or the track. I started taking my truck to the track and was turning mid to high 16's but with practice and a few very minor mods I was pulling down mid 15's. None of these times are earth shaking but they are accurate and they show clearly the improvements I have made through minor mods and improved skills.

good luck man! :toast:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has A Point, But....

SLTinSLC said:
Ok, I don't really wanna come off as a dick here but I had the opportunity to drive a V6 Dak recently and the thing didn't have enough power to get out of its own way!

I wouldn't put a single penny into mods for that motor.. start saving for a Crate Hemi 5.7L, they are out there already. You could throw a ton of cash into that V6 and still get wasted by Honda Civics.

You could even keep your eye open for totalled Durangos and buy back the wreckage and swap out the 5.9L and computer.

On the other hand.. some people like challenges.. if that's you then good luck.

I'm just trying to put down an option that will get you more bang for your buck.
DIG THIS, CUS THIS IS WHAT IM DOIN. I WANNA MAKE WHAT IM DRIVIN FAST RIGHT NOW (OH YEAH, 3.9) SO I FIGURE, JUST BUY STUFF THAT'LL TRANSFER TO A V8 CAI, TB, EXHAUST (AT LEAST MUFF AND CAT WILL TRANSF) AND OF COURSE PRACTICALLY ALL SUSPENSION MODS AND WHAT NOT, THEN WHEN YOU REACH THE POINT WHERE THE ONLY GO-FAST GOODIES YOU COULD BUY ARE ENGINE SPECIFIC, THATS WHEN YOU START SAVING FOR THE V8, THEN YOU BUY THAT BAD BOY AND PUT ALL YOUR STUFF ON THAT. INGENIOUS, I KNOW, AND MOST PEOPLE SAY POLLOCKS ARE STUPID. :nono: :nono:

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Why would you set up all of your suspension with the V6 in if you plan on getting a V8? The weight of the motor is going to alter that and you will need yet another suspension. The biggest TB recommended to put on a 3.9 is 50mm and its for pretty heavily modded 3.9's and you would probably end up loosing power from the 50mm on your V6 and in the long run if you plan on building up your V8 the 50mm is gonna be holding back power. Exhaust setup for a V6 should probably be 2.5'' or 2.75'' and the V8 would probably respond better to 3'' and if you go with the 3'' to begin with you will probably loosing power from that. The intake you will probably actually see a ample ammout of gains. If you want to go faster NOW you should probably get something more practicle like lower gears (not a motor mod but good gains). But to conclude my point... Unless you have a pretty good ammount of mods to your V6 then performance parts for the V8 are gonna loose you power and torque.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts