Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the 1517 FIPK and it's got a loud sucking noise during low RPMs. Is this normal?

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
sure is. that's because it's a open element no baffle low restriction air intake. it will make noise. i love the way it sounds under wide open throttle.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
2002DakotaRT said:
I just installed the 1517 FIPK and it's got a loud sucking noise during low RPMs. Is this normal?
is your truck the 4.7? i heard that about those engines. not too much on the 5.9.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
kaui56 said:
is your truck the 4.7? i heard that about those engines. not too much on the 5.9.
ok.... I know you're smarter than this man... look at the guys sn.... do you really think it's a 4.7L?

Sorry... I had to do that sense you're an avid poster here,... I don't want people to think we're dumb.

Ya... that sound is a pretty sweet sound if you ask me. I just did a drop in K&N filter, and I can hear that a little bit. I can't wait for my 360 air intakez one, that one's going to be mad loud.

If you get a TB spacer, and throw it on there... it will dd it ever louder, but then again... a TB spacer isn't a performance adder at all, it's better used as a paper weight.

Paul

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
ok.... I know you're smarter than this man... look at the guys sn.... do you really think it's a 4.7L?

Sorry... I had to do that sense you're an avid poster here,... I don't want people to think we're dumb.

Ya... that sound is a pretty sweet sound if you ask me. I just did a drop in K&N filter, and I can hear that a little bit. I can't wait for my 360 air intakez one, that one's going to be mad loud.

If you get a TB spacer, and throw it on there... it will dd it ever louder, but then again... a TB spacer isn't a performance adder at all, it's better used as a paper weight.

Paul
hahaha, i was just testing you guys...good job paul...you win the head of the class award... :woowoo:

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Adam said:
;) Kaui is never wrong hasn't everybody figured that out yet. He just jokes around alot :jester:
Maybe he was just simply wrong, and said that to cover it up.

I could see where you would mistake an R/T having a 4.7L, considering they are faster than a 5.9L.
:stick: :rwhiz: 5.9L :lwhiz: :explode: :closed:

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
kaui56 said:
you are kinda funny today paul...too bad your dillusional...
hey what can I say... I obviously woke up on the funny/I own 5.9L R/T's side of the bed today. OH wait, thats everyday. :jawdrop:

Paul

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just installed a FIPK on my '01 Durango 5.9 last night. (57-1517-1 ?)

I'm very happy with it overall. The install was a PITA, while relocating the cruise control of course the cotter pin holding it all together went sproing and flew god knows where... but the overall construction and fit of the K&N stuff seemed pretty solid.

As for noises - this did surprise me. When I first started it up and drove around, I was getting lots of little sucking noises. But after a few miles, that seemed to have calmed down a bit, and basically around town I don't hear much difference inside the cabin - at low throttle you can hear a hissing sound reflecting off curbs or other cars. If I step on the gas a bit, in the 25-50% range, I do hear the hiss of the intake, but it's not obnoxious...

BUT

At WOT? Wow. I'm impressed - it actually makes the engine (and exhaust?) sound great. A nice throaty roar, even with everything else stock. This REALLY surprised me, as I've put K&Ns into a number of other vehicles and never had that sort of change in sound. I like it!

PS: I ordered the K&N from Summit Racing, placed the order monday afternoon and it was waiting on my doorstep thursday night. That's my idea of service! (That was with their "free" shipping - but there is a $8 handling fee that surprised me) This is actually the 2nd or 3rd thing I've ordered from them over the last couple years, and every time I'm just amazed at their efficiency...

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
good for you! besides sounding great you should notice better gas mileage too, if ya can keep your foot out of it!! lol.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fastdak,
Totally off topic, but I remember seeing you at GLD on 10/12 last year. Some of us Grand Prix guys went down there for a track day, and I came real close to a personal best that day as well.

I'm planning on getting an R/T soon, and I'm lurking around these forums filling my melon with knowledge about them.

BTW, I live in Oshkosh...You close?

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
GT Mike said:
Fastdak,
Totally off topic, but I remember seeing you at GLD on 10/12 last year. Some of us Grand Prix guys went down there for a track day, and I came real close to a personal best that day as well.

I'm planning on getting an R/T soon, and I'm lurking around these forums filling my melon with knowledge about them.

BTW, I live in Oshkosh...You close?

welcome to the world of mopar! i live just outside of milwaukee. in menomonee falls. i haven't been to the track yet this year. waiting to get a superchip programmer before i go. i'm hopeing to get into the high 14 sec time zone. glad to see more wis. ppl here. this is the best site i've found sofar.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome back to the world of Mopar is more correct...My Grand Prix is the first non-Mopar vehicle I've owned in over 10 years!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts