Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. New to this site and working on my truck. While waiting for blower resistor parts to arrive in the mail, I stuck 2 wash cloths into the resistor opening to block the cold air while driving. (I had removed the resistor to know what I was dealing with) At speed I would get warm air in cab eventually. Removed wash cloth and reinstalled all new parts. Fan worked but began to smell after a couple minutes like something was burning. Removed resistor and tried again and still the smell. Have used truck since without the fan on and no longer get warm air into cab. I think I may have left 1 wash cloth in duct work and it traveled (blown) deeper into the the system. Stop laughing. This is serious. Could there be something else wrong or could I actually have sent that cloth further up the line and the biggest question is how I can get in there to check without having to remove the dash. Out of work and trying to save some cash from the mechanics pocket. Bone head move if I did do it. Thanks for your help in advance
 

·
Frog Legs
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
Unplug the blower resister electrical connector and inspect it very carefully. Check the wireing closely as well as the plug for signs of melting. My wiring going into the connecter melted so bad that i had to cut and splice a new plug. I highly doubt your burning smell is the rag. The heater will never get hot enough to make a rag inside smell like it is burning. The plug/ wire melting could cause a fire if it gets hot enough.
 

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
Joined
·
13,196 Posts
A new resistor will make a burning smell until the newness wears off...and yes, the resistor will get hot enough to catch the rag on fire

if you put 2 rags in there, and only removed one..you will need to find and remove the other one

Bryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rags

Thanks, but the plug and wires were melted and a number each wire, cut them back until they were clean and attached with butt connectors and attached new resistor. I looked up the hole and don't see anything. Reason I think the rag has traveled is with the rags stuffed in there I would get heat once the truck was warmed up and traveling at 60 mph or so. Now, no heat coming out vents at 60. Tough spot to work as I am 6 ft. 4 and feel like a cork screw working under there. Can any other part of the duct work be removed without the whole dash being removed?
 

·
Just a guy with a truck
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
I'm not picturing where you stuffed the rags, but would removing either the fan itself or the front of the dash (vents fronts) give you any access to where you think it might be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the resistor under the glove box to see what I was dealing with and rather then put it back during me obtaining the new parts, I just stuffed the rags up there. If I didn't put something in there the air streaming in at speed was freezing for the passenger. It is located just to the left of the blower motor under the glove box. Just saw a link late last night explaining how to remove the dash face around the radio etc. over to the drivers side. Just wondering if its possible for that rag to make it up to the heater core which I assume must get real hot. I figure the resistor would smell a bit when used the first few times and be very hot but this smell appears not to be coming from the resistor. (held in hand or reinstalled when testing both ways.) UGH!!!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top