Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Adrian Guzman
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was reading up on some supra that got lexus headlights. and i got to thinking if it could be done on a dakota. i really like the headlights on the chargers so does anyone know if maybe the headlights off a new dodge charger could be swapped into a dakota. and if it'll be alot of work to do it. what i have pictured in my mind is a tougher looking dakota with the charger lights.

G

·
that would be a cool concept, but it will cost you alot of money unless you do all the work. i put different head lights on my talon and had to cut the brackets out and weld in new ones. replace the bumper, hood, and fenders. it cost alot and took alot of my time but in the end it was worth it. but like i tell my brother about his cars, if its what you want then do it.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
i would try to do it. I was actually thinking about trying to put some Chevy lights on my Gen II. You just have to consider the angle of the lens, make sure they would still give you proper lighting, unless u just wanna run fogs then it wouldnt matter. But yeah, it would look cool.

· Adrian Guzman
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm i don't think put in the charger lights would have me changing out the bumper and fenders and all that. prob some welding and then molding at the most i think, hope. kinda how they mold on hood scoops and stuff like that. i'm gonna have to look into that. it would really customize the front of my truck

· Registered
185 Posts
I'm not going to say that putting the lights from a new Charger on a Dakota would be IMPOSSIBLE, but it would be alot of work. I was going to photoshop up what it would look like, but when I saw how different the headlights were next to each other I decided not to bother... It would probably require making custom front quarter panels on both sides to get a tight looking fit.

Here's an idea that I had a while back though, headlights off of the last generation of Rams...

I think it might be as easy as cutting a few notches in the front bumper where the lights curve down. For those of us with the black plastic part on the top of the bumper it would be easy to make a fiberglass addition that would replace the black plastic and could be painted to match.

· Adrian Guzman
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thats is a big difference between charger lights and dakota lights. how about flipping them around? or would that be illegal. know what i mean? like put the right charger headlight on the left side of the dakota that looks like that would fit a little better. hey man i really like your photoshop pictures :clap2: people can really get an idea of what it would look like with that photoshop

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Biggest problem I see is that the charger headlight has an aggresive turndown on the top right of the headlight (in the provided picture) whereas the Dakota has a smooth flowing into the body line look. Could it be done, sure, but more than likely you'd loose the "anger" of the charger lights... K'no?

· Registered
185 Posts
If you put the Charger headlights on the opposite sides they still probably wouldn't fit to well. The bottom of the light would become the top of the light, and then it still wouldn't even be a close match to the contour of the way the quarter panels look.

There'd be a big gaps you'd have to fill in with bondo which would probably look like crap. Or you'd have to make new quarter panels all together out of fiberglass probably. It could be done but it'd require lots of custom body work, and if you're going to do all that you might as well keep them right side up and have them look exactly like they do on the Charger. In all honesty it wouldn't be that difficult to do if you are REALLY good with fiberglass and could make new quarter panels.

· Banned
782 Posts
Rumblefish.. I gotta say, I love your ideas... kinda after the same ideas I had been after trying to make an idea to match our headlights to the Chevy Silverados. I know Alta Boy did some eyelids, but, they don't have the agressive look like I would think...

But your charger headlights sure do! I like your thinking!

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Kc_Rage_49 said:
Rumblefish.. I gotta say, I love your ideas... kinda after the same ideas I had been after trying to make an idea to match our headlights to the Chevy Silverados. I know Alta Boy did some eyelids, but, they don't have the agressive look like I would think...

But your charger headlights sure do! I like your thinking!
I was thinking about the Silverados headlights too. And whatever that big ass van that chevy makes thats also has the two-piece headlight. Anything is possible!!! But like i said before, making sure it would all be flush and that the lenses would still point straight ahead would be the "hard" part. And that the dakota with the ram headlights looks like a kid with treacher collins syndrom :jester:

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
I always compare body styles from different makers, and find out what would look good from there. Since the Gen II daks and Silvys have "about" the same body shape, i thought the headlights would look good. I also just like the telescope lookin headlights anyway :drool: But seeing that the trucks are nowhere near in size, the headlights wouldnt fit like i "made them" in that picture. So yeah, that kinda sucks

· Adrian Guzman
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey downboi yeah i like the way your truck would look like with that chevy look. man i would really like to get the charger lights on there but seems like it would be kinda expensive. well how about 350z headlights (ideas coming out my ass) just take out the headlights and fill them in like people do the taillights. and then just have a shop cut and fit the headlights in. prob won't work but the ideas of what i want my truck to look like won't stop. :drool:

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
I have no idea how u would try to put 350z headlights on a Dak. You would have to cut the fenders all to shit and it would just not match with the body lines AT ALL, thats just my opinion. You know theres people that will completely build u a car from scratch exactly how u want it, with all ur ideas u should look into that :biggthump

· One of the Elite
1,054 Posts
The best way to probably get some kind of resemblance to the charger lights out of the dakota lighting design is to take the diamond clear headlights apart, and the charger lights apart, and then take the inner workings from the charger light, cut the openings in the dakota housing to fit the charger lights, paint them black, and then put the actual headlight lense back on.

They would sorta resemble the original projection lights from Clift Motorsports / DRaven Products.

~CYCLONE_06

· One of the Elite
1,054 Posts
That looks mean, thats for sure. Too bad in MS Paint you were able to foreshorten the light and "Make it fit" on the width of the fender. LOL, if only that were possible in reality.

~CYCLONE_06

· gettin hearing aids by 30
510 Posts
does anybody know how big the charger lights are? charger lights and cervinis sniper body kit would make one very mean looking dak.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.