Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 2000 3.9L V6 Dakota, is a 3:55 ratio rear end a posi?
How do I tell if it is or isnt? The manufacurers code I think is DMA????? (maybe)!

· Registered
31 Posts
I know nothing about codes so don't be dissapointed..but if you look inside your glove box..it should have a label with your rear end info...if not, check your window sticker if you have it or call the stealership with the VIN..they can tell ya...

· Registered
1,177 Posts
or jack the back up and spin the tire.

· Registered
33 Posts
hello if you have a posi in your truck both wheels would spin at the same time as you floor it and spin your tires. if you spin your tires and 1 wheel spins then the other (usually the driver side) starts a little later then this is considered a limited slip rear. hope this helps. oh 1 last thing dont go wrecking your ride trying to find out :hammer: LOL.

SHADOW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are four types of rear ends used in cars and trucks.

1. Open - The basic rear end used in most vehicles. The tire with the least amount of traction will receive all the torque from the engine. This is the type of rear end that you can have one wheel spinning and the other standing still and will leave you stuck in the mud or snow. You will get one black patch on the pavement if you do a burnout. This rear end provides for the smoothest action when going around corners on pavement. The quick check for an open rear end is to jack the rear wheels off the ground. If you turn one in the forward direction the other will turn in the backward direction.

2. Limited Slip - Often refered to as posi, positraction, suregrip, tru-track and any number of other names that the marketing folks can think up. They use clutches or other mechanical means, such as the Detroit Locker, to ensure that some torque is always applied to both wheels. You will never be in normal driving situation when one wheel is spinning and the other is standing still. You will get two even black patches when doing a burn out (if you don't then the rear end is worn and in need of attention). The units that uses clutches provide for relatively smooth action going around corners, the mechanical ones can be rough as the mechanism grabs and releases. The quick check for a limited slip is to jack the rear end off the ground and turn one wheel in the forward direction and the other will also turn in the forward direction.

3. Locker - (not to be confused with Detriot Locker) is a rear end that can be switched from open to locked (i.e., spool) from inside the cab. These rear ends are typically used by the serious off roaders.

4. Spool - This type rear end has no differential action, that is, both wheels are locked together and always tuurn at the same speed. These rear ends are not practical for street use and are typically seen on drag cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MJJRT - the best way for you to find out is do like Conman said and look at the label on the inside of the glove box door. Its tells you rear end size, gearing, and whether open or LSD. You can also look at the rear axle and there is a white band with the same information on it... believe its the driver side. I can pretty much guarantee though that if yours is a 2wd with the 3.55 its going to be an Open. Mines got the 9.25 inch, 3.55 Open.

· Drop and destroy!!
209 Posts
Simple man!

Jack the back end of the truck up so that both rear wheels aren't touching the ground. Grap one of the wheels and spin it. If the wheels go in a opposite direction it's not a posi. If the wheels spin in the same direction it's a posi.

Have your truck in gear, as in park if it's an automatic, or in gear if it's a standard.

Oh yeah.... Don't have the emergency brake on either or else nothing will spin. LOL

· Super Modder
981 Posts
Alta Boy said:
Simple man!

Jack the back end of the truck up so that both rear wheels aren't touching the ground. Grap one of the wheels and spin it. If the wheels go in a opposite direction it's not a posi. If the wheels spin in the same direction it's a posi.

Have your truck in gear, as in park if it's an automatic, or in gear if it's a standard.

Oh yeah.... Don't have the emergency brake on either or else nothing will spin. LOL
you dont want it in gear...you want it in nuetral...if its in gear they wont spin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you know what I did in my durango, I just nailed it then looked at the tires marks ......... only one = open. Looking for a LSD now!

One tire burnouts are pretty dang lame ... lol :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.