Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like how the overdrive works on my 98 dak. It seems to kick in too early, when it shifts in to overdrive it starts at about 1100 rpms wich seems low to me.

I started to read info about trans problems on the forum and found out that the 44RE is supposed to have three speeds (1-2-3+overdrive)

Today when driving home I wanted to test how the transmission was shifting and i clearly noticed that my truck shifted 3 times before overdrive, this is
from 1st to 2nd
from 2nd to 3rd
from 3rd to 4th???????
from 4th to overdrive. As always as soon as overdrive kicked in, it went to about 1,100 rpms

Is this normal? the previous owner of the truck made lots of mods on it but nothing on the transmission that i know of. I checked the glove box and it says that i have the 44RE

Any toughs on this one?

I will try to take a video tomorrow and post it.

I have 33 tires with what i think are stock gears, I think that this may change the shift points but every speed on the trans seems to be shifting fine, it is only the overdrive, when it kicks in the revs on the engine are just to low.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 44RE is a three speed trans + Overdrive with a lock-up torque converter.
The front half is a 904 based three speed.
The Overdrive is a complete section in the rear of the transmission that is controlled by the PCM through a solenoid in the valvebody.
The torque converter has a mechanical clutch which is also controlled by the PCM via a second solenoid in the valvebody.

You should feel 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, then the TCC locks up.

The speed at which the OD and TCC lock-up occurs are totally dictated by the computer.

If you have 33" tires and stock gearing, you are going quite a bit faster than what the speedo shows, unless you have corrected for taller tires.

One thing that might help very slightly is to adjust your TV cable a bit tighter.
Adjust it to where you have approximately 1/8" play in the wire when the throttle is held WIDE OPEN.

Have someone set in the drivers seat
Remove the white clip at the throttle body for the TV adjustment (don't break or loose the clip)
Have your helper hold the throttle to the floor (engine off, of course)
With the throttle to the floor, pull the black outer cable towards the firewall until the cable is tight against the throttle lever, then let it come forward approximately 1/8" , hold it there, and re-insert the plastic clip.

This might help you just a little. To really correct the problem you either need to gear the diff for the larger tires or correct the PCM for the bigger tires.
-OR-
You can turn off the OD while in town.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 44RE is a three speed trans + Overdrive with a lock-up torque converter.
The front half is a 904 based three speed.
The Overdrive is a complete section in the rear of the transmission that is controlled by the PCM through a solenoid in the valvebody.
The torque converter has a mechanical clutch which is also controlled by the PCM via a second solenoid in the valvebody.

You should feel 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, then the TCC locks up.

The speed at which the OD and TCC lock-up occurs are totally dictated by the computer.

If you have 33" tires and stock gearing, you are going quite a bit faster than what the speedo shows, unless you have corrected for taller tires.

One thing that might help very slightly is to adjust your TV cable a bit tighter.
Adjust it to where you have approximately 1/8" play in the wire when the throttle is held WIDE OPEN.

Have someone set in the drivers seat
Remove the white clip at the throttle body for the TV adjustment (don't break or loose the clip)
Have your helper hold the throttle to the floor (engine off, of course)
With the throttle to the floor, pull the black outer cable towards the firewall until the cable is tight against the throttle lever, then let it come forward approximately 1/8" , hold it there, and re-insert the plastic clip.

This might help you just a little. To really correct the problem you either need to gear the diff for the larger tires or correct the PCM for the bigger tires.
-OR-
You can turn off the OD while in town.
Thanks for the info!

I will try to do the tv cable adjustment next weekend to see if it helps.

And yes, i feel
1-2
2-3
3-4 this just last a couple of seconds
and then what i think is the TCC lock-up, this is the one that is brings the engine to about 1100-1400 rpms and it feels totally underpowered....

Will do the tv cable and if this doesn't help then i will have to start thinking on gears

1 - 3 of 3 Posts