Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I have a 1999 Dakota 3.9 4x4 Sport. About a year ago my waterpump / fan clutch failed. I replaced the fan clutch, water pump, and T- Stat after flushing the cooling system. Intermittently the truck will run hot for no apparent reason. I have had the cooling system flushed again several times and the local Dodge dealer has given the water pump, etc a clean bill of health. What could be causing this truck to overheat like this? When it does get hot running the heater at full blast is the only way to keep it from overheating until I can get to a place where I can safely pull off the road. The radiator cap has also been replaced. I love my truck but it apperars to be posessed by Demons. Help! I need to tow my boat, but I am afraid to use the truck! Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Joe

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had the same probs with mine and it ended up being the radiator. I had flushed the crap out of it more than once and thought it couldn't be that and a friend of mine owns a shop so I took it to him and he sent the radiator out and had it boiled out and it was stoped up in the bottom. I had even taken it out and water would run through it with no pob and it was still overheating. One other thing it could be is a blown head gasket. I think you can test that either by checking to see if the radiator bubbles while its running or they have something you can put in the radiator that turns a certain color if its blown. Other than that, Don't know.

·
493 Posts
try a new thermostat yet, they will stick and cause a overheating symptom then run normal for a while? I know you did it a year ago but its a relatively easy/cheap part to buy and install?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Sounds like a sticking T-stat to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
New thermostats can be bad. Simple way to check before installing:

Get a cooking thermometer, a pan of water, and put the stat in the water and... see where this is going? When the water temp reaches the point where the stat should open--it should open!

(Father's Day tip o' the hat to my Dad, rest his soul! I learned that one from him.)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
After she's at running temperature, feel the back of the radiator. Mine was 3/4 cold. New radiator made the fan work properly too.

You will shut the engine off first, won't you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts